Backpacking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tee

Backpacking

Post by Tee »

Received my Phoenix last week :D. Plan on visiting the local archery range this week to sight it in.

I have used a small leather pouch I got at the local Dollar Store and a small cable tie to attach the allen wrenches to the crossbow - actually to the underside of the Excalibur quiver attached to the crossbow. I figure that since Excalibur emphasizes making sure periodically that the screws are tight, having the wrenches attached to the crossbow keeps them handy for that purpose. No matter where I am.

I plan on backpacking with the crossbow into wilderness country and have some questions since I have never backpacked with a crossbow.

1. Do I need to protect the crossbow or string from the elements - sun and rain. Carrying protection for the crossbow will add weight if not necessary.

2. I will be using an external frame backpack (ALICE - Large - internal frame packs are still far too expensive to afford although I have read that they are easier to use - the one I would use is priced at almost $400 - paid $50 for the new ALICE pack). What is the easiest method for carrying the crossbow with the backpack?

3. Should I unstring the crossbow while traveling and then string when necessary or just leave strung all the time?

4. Should the crossbow be strung or unstrung when hanging in the closet at home and unused?

Any other hints from the experienced backpackers and crossbow users??

Thanks,
Tee
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im new here but im pretty sur emost will say just unstring it when not in use for a long time.. bow season in Va doesnt begin untill oct 1st and ill more than likely only use my mine Oct and some of Nov.. after that I plan on unstringing it.

the strings are only 8-18bucks each.. I see where most say to get a extra one to have on hand

i just got my exocet and I cant wait to use that this fall;)

welcome here also
grndhntr

Post by grndhntr »

I'm also thinking of backpacking my crossbow in for an elk hunt here in Colorado. I will probably leave mine strung, but I may cover it with something just to keep from freaking out hikers who don't realize it's hunting season. My advice would be to try to keep everything as light as possible. With a crossbow, you're already at about 7# or more with bolts and quiver so everything else needs to be super light to keep from getting too heavy. I like to keep my pack to less than 40# and 35# is a lot better, but hard to do and still bring what you need. Hope this helps.
diesel

Post by diesel »

If your NOT going to shoot it for some time unstring your bow. Do not leave your bow strung and stored in a hot place like the trunk of your car. If you unstring your bow remove the Dissapator pads . Use Lock Tite on the screws when you put your bow together.
Use a piece of leather and work some of Excalibus wax into the serving, put some Horton rain lub on the rail where the bolt rides. use scope covers and wipe down at night if it rains or snows. Put more on as needed.
Look over the DVD that came with your new bow. read the owners manual. I've only had my bow one year and I still put the VCR tape in. Just to see if I missed any thing.
that should do .
pokynojoe

backpacking with crossbow

Post by pokynojoe »

I was just up hiking in the Smokies yesterday and thought about this while hiking. I couldn't imagine trying to pack a crossbow strung unless the trail was groomed. Off-trail hiking I think would be impossible around here. I would probably even take the riser off the stock. Too, much dense undercover(ever try slugging through rhodedendron and laurel thickets?) Contoured, internal frame packs are the preferred backpack in the Southern Appalachains, unless, like I said, you are on groomed trails that are maintained. Since passing the big five-oh, I'm a firm believer in ultralight backpacking. I use a light weight rucksack, total weight about 15 pounds not counting food. You'd be surprised what you don't need. Just my thoughts. Read Ray Jardin, I don't subscribe to everything he says, but he has some good ideas about reducing pack weight. Just my thoughts.

Regards
Joe
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you're packing in to a "base camp" why not take the riser off the stock (two screws) and pack in that way? It would be a lot easier to handle as two long thin packages than one tall & wide package, and would be easier to carry inside a pack for protection from the elements. You might even make a storage bag of fleece type material for the two main components (stock assy. & riser).
wabi
A.W

Post by A.W »

I assume you're driving to a location to set off on your backpack trip. Don't leave your bow strung in the hot trunk of the car.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Tee

Backpacking

Post by Tee »

wabi - I like your idea of dis-assembling the crossbow for packing. As you say having "two long thin packages" would be tremendously easier. Re-assembling when necessary is easy enough and another reason top keep the wrenches together with the crossbow. Hmmm, need to work on a way to permanently attach the wrench pouch to the crossbow and not the quiver.

A second question. I purchased the Wasp BOSS broadheads with the crossbow, actually in the accessory package from Excalibur. I notice that the broadheads use a small washer to keep the blades in place. Given my dexterity, I know for sure that I am going to lose more than one of those really small washers. I have checked the local hardware stores and could find washers with the same inside diameter, but not the same outside diameter. Short of trying to buy spare washers from Wasp, is there another source of supply?

Thanks,
Tee
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.