whens bow season for whitetail start?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

whens bow season for whitetail start?

Post by crazyfarmer »

those of you that hunt whitetail(deer that is:-P not women lol)

Archery season in Va doesnt begin untill friggin Oct 1st! So its a long wait.. TO LONG!

how about everyone else here? what begins early for your guys to hunt with your bows?
diesel

Post by diesel »

Crazyfarmer
I hear you. I spent the first 19 years of my life Milking Cows. the only time I got a break was the week of gun season. Not really a break we just did the milking earlyer in the morning and strated a littel later at night.
But every day between season we watched learned where the deer were and what they were doing. Shot a lot of ground hogs for practice.
I think our season comes in the last weekend in September this year. But like a lot on this forum the scouting part is always in just like when I was on the Fram.
Farming is a great life, the pay is not that good, (by the hour ) But it's great being out side and being your own boss.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Sept. 01 for compounds for 3.5 months, then Oct. 01 for xbows for 2.5 months. Usually sneak in a Wild Boar Hunt between seasons.

Grey Owl
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

October 1 here in Indiana..

It will be here before you know and over a lot quicker...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
xboman

Beginning of season

Post by xboman »

2006 Deer Hunting on Manitoulin Island

Bow season: Oct 7 to Nov 17 (6 weeks)

Gun season: Nov 20 to Nov 26 (7 days)

Muzzleloader / Archery only Season: Dec 4 to Dec 9 (6 days)

For 4 days I was at my Deer Camp for a "work weekend" during the the last weekend of the month of April.

I am pleased to report that a new stand is now erected on the South-East corner limit of my 202 acres property. I've christened it with the name South East Assassin .

I leave you with this:
For a place I spend time at only about 2 weeks year, I think about it way too much.

xboman
the elf

Post by the elf »

In one area of Ontario----where I bowhunt---it runs from October 01 till December31--usually------------------and the other area is October 15 till December 15 usually-----------and I can`t wait-------as usual----ELF.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

The first Saturday in Oct. in Ohio, but it does not close until the last day in January! Pleanty of time to pick you out a good one! :wink:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Here in Ohio, Sept 30 to Feb 4 this year for archery (which has included crossbows for many years now). We also have an early (special area) muzzleloader season Oct. 23-28, a youth gun season Nov. 18-19, Gun season Nov. 27- Dec. 3 and Dec. 16-17, and a statewide muzzleloader season Dec. 27-30. Archery equipment is legal for all seasons, but the hunter must wear hunter orange during gun/muzzloader seasons.
Amazing thing to me is how so many anti-crossbow fanatics can say crossbow hunting is a bad thing. Ohio has included the crossbow as "archery" for decades, and any game legal for archery (except migratory waterfowl) is perfectly legal with a crossbow. The lengthening seasons and still increasing deer herd (with plenty of trophy bucks taken ever year) should remove all doubt that the crossbow has a positive impact on hunting. Nowdays the crossbow hunters in Ohio outnumber the vert bow hunters and the deer are still increasing in numbers. What's great (in my opinion) is that a lot more kids and women are getting involved in participating in hunting thanks to the legality and acceptance of the crossbow. All those $$$$ they spend helps to fund the game management practices that make Ohio a great place to hunt.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

diesel wrote:Crazyfarmer
I hear you. I spent the first 19 years of my life Milking Cows. the only time I got a break was the week of gun season. Not really a break we just did the milking earlyer in the morning and strated a littel later at night.
But every day between season we watched learned where the deer were and what they were doing. Shot a lot of ground hogs for practice.
I think our season comes in the last weekend in September this year. But like a lot on this forum the scouting part is always in just like when I was on the Fram.
Farming is a great life, the pay is not that good, (by the hour ) But it's great being out side and being your own boss.
i hear ya... the good thing about farming is that you actaully get to scout while you work;) Plus when season comes in you can usually get to work a lil earlier so you can get in a afternoon hunt. Usually by Nov we have most of the work done so I have untill Jan to hunt off and on.

wabi: if it has a string and a arrow then its a bow in my book lol. Im a old school compound fan but ive got nothing against the crossbows. Im glad they made it legal in Va last year since it gives more a chance to get out and hunt. The deer here need to be thinned down badly!
AliveInTheWild

Post by AliveInTheWild »

Archery season in Minnesota usually mid-September to end of year -- crossbows not legal without disability permit. I have a permit, just purchased a brand new Exomax and will, for the first time this year, hunt whitetails with a crossbow. I'm psyched!
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

I have a urban area to hunt in VA. That season comes in Sept 16. Not long at all! :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bstout wrote:wabi: I don't understand why other States can not learn from what has happened in Ohio. How's the song go "Remembering Ohio" (just had to throw that in) but seriously they should be able to see and understand the statistics! The vert bow guys are scared to death of becoming a minority. Why I don't know because us "Bowhunters" have always been the minority. The gun hunters here can't stand any kind of archery hunter for the most part. The vert bow guys here have their own little agendas and can't see passed their noses/wallets.

Kind of screws it up for everyone else!!!
same here.. dont get me wrong cause I shotgun, muzzleload, and slug hunt but the shotgun guys look down on bow hunters since they are more like snipers and usually end up getting the nice deer before they get into the woods lol... the bad thing is, we only can shoot 25-45yards roughly and still end up taking more deer lol
huntingsonny

Post by huntingsonny »

:) in 116 days :D
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

when does it start? Obviously not soon enough. :P
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Bear is earlier here. Middle of August some time. Then ducks, then deer. Gotta get eating the stuff from last fall before I can think about shooting some more.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!