self stringing the ecet suks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

self stringing the ecet suks

Post by crazyfarmer »

I just dont have enough azz to shove the thing over to get enough slack and they pull the other limb back a lil to get the string on the loop. I tired doing it like they do on the vid, but i just cant hold the thing over with my hips far enough. Any farther and the bow starts to slip like its gonna kick around.

Im gonna have to invest in the stringer now :lol:

im only 165 pounds also if that matters lol.. any tips to make it easier by hand?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Actually any of the new risers should require the same force to string. They are definately harder to do than the old type riser! I string my Phoenix by hand, but I find I do need to wear stiff soled shoes and really throw my weight into it. (I weigh about 170) The first time I strung it I had to make two or three attempts. The old Vixen and Exocet were much easier. Thinking about buying a stringing aid, too. :wink:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

wabi wrote:Actually any of the new risers should require the same force to string. They are definately harder to do than the old type riser! I string my Phoenix by hand, but I find I do need to wear stiff soled shoes and really throw my weight into it. (I weigh about 170) The first time I strung it I had to make two or three attempts. The old Vixen and Exocet were much easier. Thinking about buying a stringing aid, too. :wink:
im glad its not just me.. i tried 4-5 hard grunts lol but no go. My dad weighs about 220 so i may get him to give it a try. He;s got more farmer muscles than me lol

i still think im gonna get the stringer anyway for safety. I just dont wanna have the bow slip and end up hurting something. But the risers on this one are like solid steel lol

ill give it a few more tries tomorrow
Nacho

Post by Nacho »

You don't need the stringer. It is enough with a rope with a small loop in each side. Works exactly like the srtinger. Only you have to do, is adjusted it at the proper length to keep the string lose when the xbow is cocked.
A.W

Post by A.W »

You could always get my Ex. to do it. She used to work at the airport
kick-star :cry: ting Jumbo jets.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I strung my old Exocet for years by hand without a problem. Then I bought the Exocet 200 and after stringing it 2 or 3 times and a hernia operation (LOL) I bought a stringer. All I can say Crazyfarmer is that I should have bought one years ago. Made it so much more simplier; even on the old Exocet. Buy one and you will love it.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

If you are using you hips against the stock you are doing it wrong..

All focre should bd on the limbs ONLY.

I can string my 210 Exomag (modified with the forward riser) with no problems and I'm 67 years old and not big by any means.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Get a stringer. Of course your bow can be strung by hand, but why risk damage to yourself or your Xbow?

After I managed to lose my commercialy made stringer, I made my own by getting a piece of strong plastic, drilling the proper sized hole in it, and tying a cord to it with a loop on the end.

You could probably raise up your car to change a tire by prying it up with a plank. I saw Red Green do something along those lines in one of his shows.

A jack works easier and is safer, though.

:D :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Woody Williams wrote:If you are using you hips against the stock you are doing it wrong..

All focre should bd on the limbs ONLY.

I can string my 210 Exomag (modified with the forward riser) with no problems and I'm 67 years old and not big by any means.
woody, i didnt mean to sound like I was using my hips on the stock. I put the foot in the peg and hold the string on one hand and try tp pull the limb up far enough.. but im about 3-4 inches short of getting it there. I run outta grunt in other words lol

buckeye, i hear ya and thats what im gonna do.. im not gonan risk hurting the bow or myself trying to over work myself with just getting a string on.

Nacho, I tried that but no dice.. i cant find the right size rope. The rope I had starts seeming like its gonan break about 2-3 inches before being cocked. I know im gonan have no trouble cocking it by hand atleast. Just the limbs are like iron :shock:
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You don't want "rope" for your stringer.

An auto parts store would likely have some braided nylon cord....such as is used for making an engine starter pull cord (rewind). Don't buy cheap crap, get the good stuff. Make sure it isn't thicker than the served part of your bow string, or it may bind in the latch.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Yesss nylon cord , some thick abs plastic make the holes in it look at pic of the ones they sell and make yer own its really easy and alot cheeper and then slip it over the limb tips lock it in change or twist string and pull on the cord let it off and yer done , make the cord long enough so it just puts enough slack in the string to take it off, so u only have to pull the cord about a few inches then it locks in.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I went ahead and ordered one for 10bucks anyway...

but im getting closer and closer to self stringing it. I went form about 3-4inches away to touching the loop on the end. I just need another inch of grunt and I could do it. I guess this is kinda like lifting weights lol. The more you try the stronger you get :twisted: