Vari-zone or Aimpoint red dot for low light shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GLC

Vari-zone or Aimpoint red dot for low light shooting

Post by GLC »

I have an Aimpoint Comp M single dot scope I could use on my Exocet. I could also buy a Vari-zone. I think the Vari-zone reticle could be usefull for longer shots but my tree stand is in thick stuff and max shot would be about 25-30 yards anyway.

Which scope would be best in the dim light of dusk?

Which do you prefer and why?

I'm currently just shooting with the regular fiber optic sight.

Thanks
Digger

Post by Digger »

Varizone scope has good light gathering abilities, better than most red dots, plus I personally think a scope is the better way to go.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

I find the multiple reticles (at least when there's 5 of them) too confusing when actually hunting. I've missed a few shots because I used the crosshair instead of the "chevron" in the vari-zone. I switched to a 3-dot red dot sight for my Phoenix. It's a Tru-Glo sight and it works out that the dots are on at 15-25-40 yards. I also used the factory sights for a while and find that a 25 yard zero with one aiming point would be good for almost all shots out to 30 (+) yards.
For serious target shooting or for someone who has plenty of time to get used to the multiple reticles the vari-zone is a super accurate sighting system, but for the stress shooting at a live deer puts on me I like the simpler sighting system. I could actually use the center dot for any deer within 30 yards, and 30 yards is about as far as I want to shoot at a deer, anyway. I just practice a lot at 20 - 30 yards so the center dot becomes the default choice for my brain to make. :lol:
wabi
taxman

Post by taxman »

last year i ended up using a redfield "wide angle" 2x scope. it works great in low light conditions.