Broadheads and Ballistics Gel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tommy-SKIL-Figure

Broadheads and Ballistics Gel

Post by Tommy-SKIL-Figure »

Hi all,

I was watching the show Mythbusters last night (im prety sure you will all know what it is, its pretty popular show down here in Australia). They were testing a myth about home made crosbows and how powerfull you cold make one but they wanted to test the power of a real crozzbow first.

They were using a horton that was shooting an unspecified bolt weight at 251 fps with broadhead. What was interesting is that they tested a field point, like a Muzzy Mx-4 broadhead with removable blades (four blade) and a two blade fixed-blade (im assuming Magnus) broadhead and fired all three into a big block of ballistics gel. They didnt say any brands but im pretty sure what they were and they said that the broadheads were of equal weight.

Field points penetration was obviously dismal but the 4-blade thunderhead penetrated about 6-7 inches and the Magnus stinger about 8-9 inches at 15 yards.

The gel prooved to be an awesome target for the broadheads because the hole seemed to heal very nicely and the broadheads were stopped well and easily removable! Wish i could get my hands on some lol.
Ambition is the excuse for those who do not have the guts to be lazy
chessy

Post by chessy »