Broadhead weight-What difference will I see?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GLC

Broadhead weight-What difference will I see?

Post by GLC »

Currently shooting Gold Tip Laser II shafts and aluminum inserts as provided in the "Right Stuff" package. I'm shooting an Exocet 200 and will be hunting whitetail.

I found a good deal on Slick Trick 125 broadheads. Everything I've been shooting so far, field points and Wasp SST's, have been 100 grain.

I am really new at the archery game so I don't know how much differnce I would see in flight, speed, trajectory, and performance going to 125's.

What difference will I see if I use the the Slick Trick 125's?

Thanks.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

you will need to sight your bow in with the 125 field tips
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

In my opinion Goldtips with aluminum front inserts are a tad too light and not to my liking. By adding an extra 25 grains, not only will you get improved flight due to increased FOC, but you'll also notice the your bow will shoot quieter and with less vibration.

My Goldtips with aluminum front inserts and a 100gr head weighed approx. 365 grain. Even though using a 125 grain broadhead will improve performance, I"ve found that using bolts weighing in the 405-430 grain range, work even better for me. That is why I either use brass inserts on my Goldtips or use Easton XX75 2216 aluminum bolts.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GLC

Post by GLC »

I realize the sight-in will change with the 125's or any change in weight.

Typically, how much will trajectory change at 25 yards from 100's to 125's? An inch or two? More?
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Glc, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a question for Comfybear. What kind of fletching are you using on the Easton 2216's? I seem to get more lively flight with 4" feathers and have started to use the 2216's almost exclusively, as opposed to the Gold Tips and was wondering if anyone else is expeimenting with these.

Again, my apologies Glc.

Joe
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Trajectory will depend on the speed of your bow. If you're using a Varizone scope, all you'll have to do is re-sight your bow for the proper speed and you'll be back in business.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Pokynojoe, I use 4" vanes and get great results. Feathers will work great too, if not better, but they tend to get messy when wet and that is why I prefer duravanes.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I have the duravanes and will try them. I will probably use the 2216's exclusively, I get great flight and accuracy and it just seems simpler knowing I have plenty of weight. I am sure I'm sacrificing some speed but I don't have a chrono. The only thing I wish is that I could get some good nocks for them. I don't really like the inserts, and I have some plastic (delrin?) nocks that are ok, but they have to be removed to fletch the arrows. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I use bolts with either aluminum or delrin rear inserts and never had a problem with either. As far as fletching my bolts I use an Arizona Pro EZ Fletcher with good results and don't need to remove the inserts. Although it's not necessary, since I like the vanes to be glued at 1" from the back of the bolt, I screw a modified fieldpoint into the rear insert, which raises the bolt about 1/8".
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

You will lose about 4 feet per second. Not a whole lot to worry about.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]