Any ottawa xbow hunter's here??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

Thanks guys. You're all really nice. :) I'll have to keep in mind.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I hunt in the St-Andrews area. Lots of deer in SD&G. You're not too far from me Lonewolf.
Hey J.R, Yeah we're not far from each other at all. You're just a hop, skip and a jump away as the crow flies. Yes, South Dundas & Glengary has lots of deer, as well as some nice big bucks!...

Hey Tye, If you're willing to drag the deer out of my hell hole swamp, I would be more than happy to take you out hunting with me... :twisted: :lol: :wink:...

Seriously though, if you do head down this way and you find yourself stuck, just let me know... :)
Last edited by LoneWolf on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Buck Fever

Post by Buck Fever »

LeGrand wrote:BuckFever, you sure don't carry your name, if you shot 4 deer last Fall :lol:

Maybe will meet around Carleton Place one day this Fall :wink:

Ever heard the story of two guys coming back from hunting all-day and having to pick-up a freshly struck buck on the highway to have meat for sausage :roll:
LeGrand I don't know what you are talking about :wink:

Ya we will get you out again for sure this year. Hopefully we can get you a bit closer to a deer this year.
warpipe

Post by warpipe »

Hey Y'all. My Father in Law has a farm just west of Ottawa on Dwyer Hill Road which has lot's of deer and has made for some enjoyable crossbow hunt's. Our hunt camp is in Ompah and the deer and much harder to get in the "bush". I guess human contact is minimal so lot's of 150 yard white flag's are the norm. I think a lack of oak nut's in that area relocated the deer to more bountiful pasture land. Last fall at the intersection of Cedarview and Fallowfield I saw two massive buck's standing toe to toe. They must know hunting is prohibited because I swear they grin when I drive by. Cheer's for now.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I see quite a few members around Ottawa. I live and hunt around Perth area as well, on my own few acres. Got 2 does last year with an easy 100 yard drag to the backyard.

Tye, as the rest have said, gimme a shout if you head down this way bud.

I think we almost got enough guys for an Ottawa area shoot.

Warpipe, yeah man, there's plenty of nice deer around there. Last winter, on a trek to my office in Ottawa I saw a massive buck just standing at the side of the road in the Stoney Swamp area. He was a big boy. I didn't get to count points as I was driving. I did get to slow down and have a good look at him though before he bolted. They do know where they're safe, don't they.

Jay
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

warpipe,

I hear ya. One day I was at Ottawa Archery and right accross the road from the shop on the other side of the 8" fence there was a buck that had to go high 150's, and maybe even in the 160's. He was a massive animal. There are alot of deer dying of starvation in there, with some dying of old age. Them NCC properties in the Ottawa area are just polluted with deer, and let's not forget the Experimental Farm properties in betwwen Woodroff Ave and Greenbank Rd and Fallowfield.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TYE

Post by TYE »

LoneWolf wrote:
Hey Tye, If you're willing to drag the deer out of my hell hole swamp, I would be more than happy to take you out hunting with me... :twisted: :lol: :wink:...

Seriously though, if you do head down this way and you find yourself stuck, just let me know... :)
Trust me, I have dragged a few through some hell holes. :(
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I live in Kanata and have hunted the Marlboro Forest and around Calabogie on crown land. I still get out a time or two each year to hunt around Norwood and also around Parry Sound for deer..... I've heard good things about the Larose forest for moose but haven't tried yet... usually for moose I hunt around Wawa......
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Stalker wrote:
I've heard good things about the Larose forest for moose but haven't tried yet... usually for moose I hunt around Wawa......
Stalker,

It use to be good a few years ago when they were allocating more tags, but now they're starting to give out less and tags per season.

In 2002 they were allocating 160 adult tags = 90 cows, 70 bulls, in 2003, 135 tags = 75 cows, 60 bulls, in 2004, 105 tags = 60 cows, 45 bulls, 2005, in 2005, 60 tags = 30 cows, 30 bulls, and for this season it's the same as last season, 60 tags, 30 cows, 30 bulls. But you have to keep in mind that this is for ALL of WMU 65, and not just for the Larose Forest alone. Needless to say, chances are getting pretty slim as far as drawing tags for WMU 65 now.
Last edited by LoneWolf on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

chances are getting pretty slim as far as drawing tags for WMU 65 now.
I hear ya' LoneWolf..... it's getting to the point that you need to have a math degree to figure out where to apply... (and have a realistic chance)... a number of the guys that I moose hunt with can't get away this year so I guess that I'll just have to hunt deer longer... :twisted: ...
I think that next year we might need to move further NW like Terrace Bay.... (WMU 21A)...
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Stalker,

Yep, I'm planning on going further up north myself for the 2007 moose season.
I'd be going for the archery season as well, so the chances of drawing adult tags would be pretty good. I'd like to get a group of 4 guys that can commit who have some experience in moose hunting. I have over a year to get a group together, so that should give enough time to find 3 guys to get this thing off the ground.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Buck Fever, you say "getting me closer to a deer", may I remind you that those were 4 does and a fawn :D

Females! sheeezzz, they were suppose to follow the beaten path right in front of the stand you guys placed me in, but NOooo, yaking away going the wrong way. :roll:
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

LoneWolf wrote:warpipe,

right accross the road from the shop on the other side of the 8" fence .
Boy not even able to afford a full foot fence, no wonder the poor deer are stuck behind it. :lol: Wouldn't want them to trip over it and hurt themselves. :lol: Just pulling your leg there Mike.
Last edited by LeGrand on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

LeGrand wrote

Boy not even able to afford a full foot fence, no wonder the poor deer are stuck behind it. :lol: Would'nt want them to trip over it and hurt themselves. :lol: Just pulling your leg there Mike.
:D Yeah, I shifted when I shouldn't have... :lol:

That was suppose to read an 8' fence... :P
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Doug the Slug

Hunting near Ottawa.

Post by Doug the Slug »

I have been hunting just outside of Smiths Falls for the last 4 or 5 years. I used to hunt in the North Lanark Highlands for about 13 years but decided to hunt closer to home with a lot fewer hills to climb. Both areas have plenty of deer. We just stand hunt or do small drives, whereas in North Lanark we used dogs. I have a hard time remembering the last year I didn't shoot a deer. I usally start off with a doe in the bow season where my friend's gang rifle hunts for bucks only(trophy hunters!); this farm is polluted with deer and the wolves take out more does than I do to thin the population. I rifle hunt with a different gang where the deer aren't as plentiful and it's pretty much shoot what you see(only a hundred acre parcel), we usually get 2-4 deer there each year. Last year I shot one doe and one fawn and two more were shot by other members. Love the sport and hope to do it when I'm an old fart, well o.k. older than what I am already.

Happy hunting lads & ladies,

Doug