Excalibur bow string question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

yellowhammer

Excalibur bow string question

Post by yellowhammer »

The string that came with my new Pheonix and the one in the accessory package are made from different material. One has black thread and the other brown and green. The black string is longer than the brown and green. What is the difference? Which is better for deer hunting?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

What came with it is a Excel string and has little if any stretch. They other string should be a Fast Flight Femish (FFF) string, it's faster but will strech for a number of shot's and need twisted up to keep your brace height at 1 to 1 1/8".
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't let the colors fool you, they're probably both made of similar material.
Sorry I'm not great at explanations, but here goes: :lol:
There are two string types, endless loop and flemish twist. The endless loop string is made of one continuous length of "thread" and "served" (wrapped with another type of "thread") at the loops and center. The flemish twist is made of many "threads" which are twisted into a "bundle" to make the string, and the loops are made by simply twisting the ends to the rest of the "bundle" to form loops.
There are also two basic types of "thread" used to make strings today. There are many brand names and variations, but only two basic types to be concerned with in a discussion like this - dacron and fast flight (FastFlight is a brand name, but other companies make similarly performing materials). Dacron is thicker for similar strength, and more elastic, so a dacron string is larger diameter and "stretchier". The "elasticity" is minimal, but it does absorb some of the shock to the limbtips (and wastes some energy) in the process. Older bows with carved string grooves that weren't reinforced required the "elasticity" to keep the string from cutting into the limbs and splitting them.
Most bows today (the present Excaliburs included) are designed with heavy reinforced limbtips and string grooves to allow the use of fast flight type strings. The fast flight "thread" is smaller in diameter for a given strength, and is not so "elastic". The result is that less energy is wasted and more arrow speed results. The downside (in my opinion) is that the limbtips come to a more abrupt halt as the string stops their forward motion, and more shock (vibration and noise) is a result.
Both types materials can be (and are) used in bow strings today. The new Excaliburs come with strings made of fast flight type material, in both endless loop (Excel) and flemish twist (fastflight flemish). I believe they still sell dacron strings for their older limbs with carved string grooves, but I'm not sure if they offer both types.
I make my own strings, and like the endless loop dacron for my Phoenix. Sure, I loose a few fps, but it's quieter and there's less vibration. I also think (again, merely a personal opinion) the more elastic string is absorbing some energy that would result in stress & vibration to cause stress and damage to the bow. Not saying the modern materials in today's bows won't take it, but if you use fast flight you may only get 1,000,000 shots before the limbs split and the screws fall out of the bow, and I might get 1,000,001 :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yeh, and ya might only get 999,999 shots :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GLC

Post by GLC »

I too bought the Right Stuff package and found the string provided in the accessory pack to have different colors. Other than the colors, the accesory pack has it marked as an "Excel" string. The one in the package and the one supplied with the bow look to be of the same material and twist.

The Flemish Fast Flight string is quite different, very coarse twistings, and is sold separately. I've seen them at Cabela's but have yet to try one.

Don't know why the colors would be different though, doesn't make much sense.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't know why the colors would be different though, doesn't make much sense.
Bowstring material comes in a vast assortment of colors - white, green, red, brown, black, yellow, etc. A custom stringmaker asks for your preferance, but since the packaged strings are not custom made, they can't ask. They just have to guess what colors would be appealing, and go with those. I'm sure with all the combinations possible there is quite a variety.
wabi
gad

Post by gad »

wabi wrote:... I also think (again, merely a personal opinion) the more elastic string is absorbing some energy that would result in stress & vibration to cause stress and damage to the bow. Not saying the modern materials in today's bows won't take it, but if you use fast flight you may only get 1,000,000 shots before the limbs split and the screws fall out of the bow, and I might get 1,000,001 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wabi, in respect of shock on limbs, I always use the supressor system (the dissipator pads) that comes with excalibur xbows.

I have made two accidental dryfires with my exocet 175 :oops: :oops: , nothing bad happens, just the string broken on the second dryfire. A buddy, makes 3 (yes, three! :oops: :oops: :oops: ) accidental dryfires with his exocet 200. The first one was without the dissipator pads on the bow. The string broken, and both limb tips was broken too. The next 2 dryfires was when he was using the dissipator pads on the bow. Absolutely nothing bad have happened.

I do believe that in long term, the dissipator pads helps to preserve the bow against limbs broking or spliting.

That is my modest opinion of course. :wink:
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
wabi

Post by wabi »

gad,
I'm sure the DB's do help, but I don't use DB's. Again, that's just a personal choice. I usually unstring my bow between shooting sessions, and hate to shoot without pads on the bars. Rather than take pads on/off I removed the bars (it takes the coned washers like on the limb bolts to replace the bars). I'm not suggesting the bars aren't a benefit for most shooters, but I just don't like to shoot with bars & no pads in place since a dry-fire is always possible and I'm not sure I'd want the limbs hitting that bar with no pad if the string breaks.
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yellowhammer,

I had the same question a couple of weeks ago. My brand new string kept popping off the limbs when I shot so I ordered 2 new ones from Bass Pro. The new strings were black with a silver serving (old were tan and green). I spoke with Dawn at Excalibur and she said they are both the Excel string, they just come from different suppliers. The part number is 1994. The packging should say "for mag tip limbs only". I did find the black string to be shorter and the loops smaller. Haven't had a problem with the string coming off since I installed it.

Rich
yellowhammer

Thanks

Post by yellowhammer »

Thanks much to each of you who replied to my question re bow strings. It's guys like y'all that make this a great forum.

yellowhammer