When to start feeding ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

When to start feeding ?

Post by wabi »

Guess some areas are now prohibiting feeding deer now, but as far as I know it will remain a legal option here in Ohio. I quit feeding the wildlife this spring to be legal for turkey hunting in that location, but I'm thinking of starting up the feeder before deer season gets here (end of Sept.). How soon in advance of season would you start feeding? I'm thinking around the first of August to give them time to get used to the "outdoor diner", and to get them used to my occassional presence in the area.
I have the feeder at one end of a small food plot, and usually feed corn only. There is also a salt block nearby.
Any suggestions or advice?????
wabi
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

wabi,
At this time of year the does, fawn and younger bucks are primarily interested in protein. Young leafy material on herbaceous plants as well as agriculture crops are loaded with proteins and high in sugar (the result of photosynthetic process.) Protein is required for increasing muscle tissue and needs to be combined with a good mineral supplement to ensure adequate levels of Ca and P for skeletal development.

Corn is high in carbohydrates (enegy) and is usually needed in increasing amounts once the fall starts to approach. The end of August or the first of September is a good time to start feeding the corn. In agriculture our feed mixes run higher corn levels as the animal matures and decrease in protein levels. The object of the corn is to "fatten em up." The same will apply to deer.

I hope this helps.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
rwk

feeding

Post by rwk »

Wabi can you give me a shout at [email protected]. Thanks Rich