Inserts coming out of carbon arrows.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jesuslovesyou

Inserts coming out of carbon arrows.

Post by Jesuslovesyou »

A few of the arrows that I shoot with my exocet have the insert starting to come out. These are the first carbon arrows I've ever used. They are the ones that come with the excalibur packages. How do I push it back in there without messing up the arrow.
Thanks and May God BLess YOu,
Thomas
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world throught him might be be saved. John 3:17
Digger

Post by Digger »

I had a buch like that, GTlls. cleaned the inside as well as I could and reset them in with hot glue. they haven't com out since.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D This is a comon problem with factory made bolts and arrows !! All the ones I make I first rough up the inside with a .223 brass rifle brush and then swab out with a Q-tip with water ( not alcohal or acetone) they leave a residue for at least 24 hrs.that will affect the bond Use a 2 part epoxy let it dry for 1 hr. and you will never have an insert come out again . for aluminum shafts use the same method . GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
widowman

Post by widowman »

If you use a bore brush make sure that it is a new brush. It is counter-productive to use a oil laden brush.

I also like 24 hr epoxy.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

i've had the same problem on one of my bolts, but a little bit of super glue did the trick, the insert hasn't come out since.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not offering much help for your problem, but I will say carbons can be a real challenge to get good adhesion on sometimes. I like epoxy because there's no danger of heat damage, but it seems like some shafts are just difficult to glue. Not sure why, but I've had some that held fine, and a few that didn't? I've also had fletching adhesion failure. Had one (an arrow I'd shot a few times and it showed no sign of problems before) that one fletch came loose on a shot on a deer. I saw the arrow do a spiral pattern on the flight to the deer, and it was way off target when it hit. Luckily it was a high hit and only a flesh/muscle wound so I'm sure the deer would recover. The arrow passed through, and when I recovered it I found one feather was only holding at the rear 1/3rd of it's length. That 2/3rds loose up front sure made an interesting arrow flight! :lol:
One more reason I went back to aluminums for this year's hunting. I'm using my old carbons for target practice, but have a bunch of aluminums weighted to match the carbons and ready to hunt with. No worrys about an arrow breaking and possibly ruining meat, and no unexpected insert/fletching adhesion problems (or at least less of a chance).
wabi
Jesuslovesyou

Post by Jesuslovesyou »

Thanks for all the replies. Mine are still in the arrow, but sticking out about 1/8 inch. Can I put them on wood and peck them back in there or do I need to try and pull them out.
Thanks and May God BLess You,
Thomas
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world throught him might be be saved. John 3:17
Digger

Post by Digger »

You're going to have to pull them out and reglue them or you may lose them the next time. An ounce of prevention they say. 8) :!:
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity