Canoeist Kills bear with hunting knife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

KNIGHTS OF NI

Canoeist Kills bear with hunting knife

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

Saw this story on the news and thought I would share it with you.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/23072006/3/c ... tario.html
It is good to see we don't have a bear problem in Ontario! :?
Regards
Knights of Ni
lynnbo

Post by lynnbo »

Nothing much scares me at night in Oklahoma any more ,,, but when I was stationed in Alaska we had a brown bear come into camp at night when we were hunting caribou in the tik chik wilderness ,, lucky nothing bad happened ,, but you don't know fear until you are near a big bear at night in the wild ... God bless dogs and sawed off 870 pump guns ....
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

That guy is real lucky to be alive. Scary situation.

I wonder where in "northern" Ontario it was?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
poordave

Post by poordave »

I didn't know you were allowed to have knives in Canada
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

what ta hell is a knife, hey :lol:
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
leonk

Post by leonk »

really close call, brave guy
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:shock: :shock: Wonder if that knife was registered????????? :lol: :lol:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
poordave

Post by poordave »

I read that in Australia that they want to ban knives over a certain length. How do these people get in office. Is it citizen apathy or do they wait until elected then come out with all this dumb stuff?

The most dangerous person is a scorned drunk woman with long fingernails & spike high heels. Lessons learned from being a cop for 24 yrs
leonk

Post by leonk »

re Australia
You must recall they banned all semis few years back after couple shooting
incidents - I wonder whether it helped (I know it didn't) :(
Tom

Post by Tom »

Bstout carring a can like that around with you is a good idea, but in Canada you have to watch what you have and where you have it. It is illegal in Canada to carry Pepper Spray on your person. There are Bear Repelents that you can purchase, but I have been told of people getting harrassed by law officials for having it in the city. If you live in a city, where are you going to keep it.

I watched a program once (fishing trip in Alaska) where the resort operator would not let the clients out without a can of pepper spray and they got a lesson on how to use it. They said that if you have to use it, do not stop until the whole can is finished, that you want to make sure the bear wants nothing to do with you. Convince the bear to leave and not to harrass humans. From what I saw in the video, in the lesson given, there is quite a kick-back on the can when you pull the trigger. Good lesson learned, if I get my Bull moose archery tag this year, I will have a can with me for my protection.

I wonder if the animal rights groups are going to charge this guy for killing that bear. It would not surprise me if they tried that.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
leonk

Post by leonk »

have you used it on bears?
I don't know THAT one, is it any stronger than "bear" sprays?

I saw tv interview with 2 hikers - one of them said she painted that grizzly snout in orange (the spray is coloured) but it kept going. One of them
was badly mauled. don't remember what made the bear leave. some times they leave on their own.

I always thought it's a bit naive to think pepper spray can consistently deter
that kind of animal, bear shot with small to medium bore bullets routinely proceed to attack. as we all heard.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Some humans are not in the least affected by pepper spray. Most of us are VERY much affected by it.

Would I be willing to say that ALL bears could be repelled from an attack from the use of bear spray. Nope.

In a country where it is virtually impossible to carry a handgun for bear protection, it would be better than nothing....as long as the wind wasn't blowing the spray BACK at you, or to the side, or it was raining too heavily. Or that the charge was so fast that the bear reached you at the same time it started to feel the effects of the spray. Or that the shelf life had expired, or the nozzle clogged or got damaged by the deployment. Or the bear was one of those rare ones who was immune to pepper spray.

If I had a choice, I'd rather carry a firearm.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Tom wrote: It is illegal in Canada to carry Pepper Spray on your person. There are Bear Repelents that you can purchase, but I have been told of people getting harrassed by law officials for having it in the city.
Not quite Tom. Your answer to a police officer determines whether or not you get charged. If asked why you have it on your person and you reply "For personal protection" then the pepper spray becomes a weapon and the proverbial hits the fan.

For example. If you have a "fear of dogs" or you live near a park where there are lots of dogs running around then that is your reason for having it. Lot's of joggers carry it. Of course it help if the spray can has a "dog repellant"label.

DON'T EVER USE THE PHRASE " PERSONAL PROTECTION"!!!!!

It also depends on your (and the cop's) attitude and whether or not you're a rounder. (bad guy)
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
leonk

Post by leonk »

full story here

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... hp?t=17372

Here's the dog after surgery

Here's the knife
A.W

Post by A.W »

Here's a link to a video of the guy with his dog.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... /20060726/
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.