telephone book target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

poordave

telephone book target

Post by poordave »

I have access to a bunch of phone books. I was thinking of putting a couple stacks inside a carboard box & shooting my v-bow & crossbow into this target. Would the books be to hard on my 2219's or carbons. Dave
A.W

Post by A.W »

I think the books would be really hard on your bolts. Kinda like shooting at a tree.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
poordave

phone book target

Post by poordave »

Thanks for the replies. I thought they might be tough on the arrows. The books are 12 to a pack douple packed in plastic.
JH45 great idea. The books are upright so I'll be shooting thru the pages. I have a spot at work where I could leave the box & not have to lug it around. If you left a straw on the ground the thieves would steal it. Thanks again for the replies Dave
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Poordave my friend................. the cheapest target butt I've made is none other than plain old shrink wrap, stuffed in a bag, that can be found at any industrial plant that uses a lot of salt for make-up water (boilers). The pallets of salt come with shrink wrap around it to keep it stacked on the pallet. This set-up works great for field points, and you can literally pull the arrows out of the target butt with your teeth, its pillow soft. The target bag is so light, using the same set of teeth, you can lift the bag off the ground. I used to own a BLOCK target butt, and the arrows were so hard to pull out, (especially when using my Exomag), and the arrows buried themselves up to the fletching, the field point with insert pulled right out the arrow and stayed inside the butt itself. Sold it off real cheap.

As for broadhead's, you have to spend the time digging out the Slick trick very carefully. Notice I said Slick Trick, because they almost fly like field points. Just fine tune them after you've sighted in the field points, and your good to go.

Grey Owl
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

i've done one with construction blue styrofome, a sheet 2"thick 2'x8' costs 10 bucks and you can make 4 targets, find some cardboard boxes and put layers inside, usually only penetrates the first two-three layers. i also put a piece of cardboard between each sheet. some stuff at the store is really soft, try finding the firmer stuff.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
WRC

Telephone Book

Post by WRC »

An indoor Archery Range i used to shoot at used Telephone books for a back stop. They held up very well even to the heaviest and fastes Bows and Crossbows. I now use them for myself and have virtually no trouible withdrawing them. I Use a stack that is about 4 x 4. Something else that works equally as well is stacks of used computer paper. I shoot an Exomag.
WRC
hockeyfodder

good target...

Post by hockeyfodder »

I've used a bag of peat moss for a target. Doesn't seem to harm the arrows and when the outside plastic gets shot up I just use the peat moss on the garden and buy another bag.
My wife wondered why the bags of peat I got for her for use in the garden had holes in them...I just told her they were seconds and I got them at a reduced rate...
A.W

Re: good target...

Post by A.W »

hockeyfodder wrote:My wife wondered why the bags of peat I got for her for use in the garden had holes in them...I just told her they were seconds and I got them at a reduced rate...
:lol: :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.