Vari-zone ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

Vari-zone ???

Post by Rich »

My Vari-zone mounted on an Exocet 200 shoots 2" high at 40 yards with the speed dial max'ed out at 350 fps (dead on at 20 yards). It was dead on at 40 (at 350 fps) and then I changed my string (black/gray excel) and it shoots even higher. My arrows are Gold Tips with 100 grain field tips, the bow doesn't shoot this fast to have it adjusted at 350. My scope mounts are "high", would this make a differance, should I put a set of low mounts on.

Thanks Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I wouldnt worry about the speed dail thing, since mines set for 330 and mines only shooting 300fps lol. Why not just try adjusting the ones on the side of the scope to lower it a tad.. 1-2 clicks should do it and I doubt it throws you off at 20

ther new string mighta gave you more fps by 5-6 which mad it shoot a tad higher. Also, where is the string in between the lines compared to the old one?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

crazyfarmer your defeating the purpose of owning a Varizone scope :shock:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Crazyfarmer,

The string sits off center (towards the trigger). The new string is definetely shorter than the other one (maybe that's why it kept coming loose when I shot). I'm not concerned about a 40 yard shot for hunting, but I like to shot paper and want to get it dialed in.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

GaryL wrote:crazyfarmer your defeating the purpose of owning a Varizone scope :shock:
how so? I dailed mine in with the scope sites first, then used the fps ring to dail in the 30-50yard ones? Mine was set on 333 exactly while my bow only shoots 300(same issue he had). The scope clicks are there and just as easy to adjust lol

Rich, im no pro but I wouldnt worry about 2inches:-P If anything, aim a little lower or aim with a different point of that arrow. For some of mine I have to use the whole arrow dead center on the bullseye, while for like 30yards I just use the tip of that arrow. I guess that makes sense
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Rich: I'm a little confused by your reference to "black/grey/excel. The black and grey i've got are FFF strings, Flemish end loops. The Excel is endless loop Dacron, w/ served end loops, and somewhat slower than the FFF. I tend to agree w/ Gary, I've got three V-zones on three bows and never had a problem w/ longer ranges, once they were sighted in at 20 and the speed ring adjusted for further ranges.
"Eze 18:21"
Rich

Post by Rich »

AWSHUCKS,

Sorry about copying the previous post, trying to figure this picture stuff out.

The string is an excel, it just comes from a different supplier then before.
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

What are the speed settings on the Vari-Zone?

Also, Excalibur claims the Exocet will shoot 330 with a 350 gr. arrow and a FFF string. Has anyone shot their exocet through a chronograph and got the exact speed THEN adjusted the setttings on their Vari-Zone?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

crazyfarmer wrote:
GaryL wrote:crazyfarmer your defeating the purpose of owning a Varizone scope :shock:
how so? I dailed mine in with the scope sites first, then used the fps ring to dail in the 30-50yard ones? Mine was set on 333 exactly while my bow only shoots 300(same issue he had). The scope clicks are there and just as easy to adjust lol

Rich, im no pro but I wouldnt worry about 2inches:-P If anything, aim a little lower or aim with a different point of that arrow. For some of mine I have to use the whole arrow dead center on the bullseye, while for like 30yards I just use the tip of that arrow. I guess that makes sense
Cause if set up per the instructions you should be dead on at 10,20,30,40 and not have any hold over on longer shot's up too 50 yards. spots should be right on off a bench rest :D

Thats the purpose of the Varizone scope and the speed ring. However as you stated if you be happy with your set up and it shoots like you want, then thats what counts .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

KYXbow wrote:What are the speed settings on the Vari-Zone?

Also, Excalibur claims the Exocet will shoot 330 with a 350 gr. arrow and a FFF string. Has anyone shot their exocet through a chronograph and got the exact speed THEN adjusted the setttings on their Vari-Zone?
YES big time, and it works just great .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

GaryL wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:

Cause if set up per the instructions you should be dead on at 10,20,30,40 and not have any hold over on longer shot's up too 50 yards. spots should be right on off a bench rest :D

Thats the purpose of the Varizone scope and the speed ring. However as you stated if you be happy with your set up and it shoots like you want, then thats what counts .... :D
Here be a couple post by Digger on setting up the Varizone scope.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=#111099

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=#104393

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ght=#92767

:wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

GaryL wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:

I gotcha... mines dailed right in for every site in the scope. To answer the chrono question. Mine shoots 298-300 on the chrono and I have it set for 330ish on the scope. The main crosshair shoots 20 dead on, the 1st arrow shoots 30, and so on to 50 like its supposed to. If I shoot my bolts that go 320fps with the same 330fps setting then I simply can shoot the main crosshair for 20 and 30yards, the 1st arrow(point) for 40, the 2nd for 50 and the bottom one at 60.

For every 15-20fps it moves your point of impact in about 10yards so it if that makes sense

I just know the slower, heavy bolts shoot a heck of alot better than the 350gr ones on mine. The 350gr ones are QUICK, but it seems like its easier to throw them off in mid flight then the heavy brass insert ones

Rich, id be happy with how its shooting now. Just aim at the bottom of the bullseye at 40 and you should be good to go;) But hoe often is a deer gonna stand right at 20, 30 or 40 even;) Usually they will be 23, 36, or something odd like 43yards away;) If so, then at 43yards your pin would be dead on;)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Sure got that right crazyfarmer, also you sure be right on how many critters are gonna be on the 10,20,30,40 and so on sight markers. Reckon we all better know how are EXCALIBURS shoot eh! :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

GaryL wrote:Sure got that right crazyfarmer, also you sure be right on how many critters are gonna be on the 10,20,30,40 and so on sight markers. Reckon we all better know how are EXCALIBURS shoot eh! :D
I still like the 6-7yard shots best :D :shock:

either way, I think most of us have everything covered with these bows up to 30yards :twisted:
Rich

Post by Rich »

Got he problem figured out, it was the scope rings. I shifted fron high rings to a medium height set I had in the garage. The point of impact shifted down 3 inches at 40 yards at 350 fps. It's now hits 1 inch low at 40. I guess I'll make a trip to Bass Pro and pick up a set of new low rings