Scope choice.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dodgeman158

Scope choice.

Post by dodgeman158 »

I am going to upgrade from my older MaxZone scope.
What is the opinion on the Red dot as opposed to the VariZone.
Bow will be used mainly for the deer hunt.

Thanks.
Brian.
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

I was considering the Ten Point Quad III scope. It is a red dot with 4 different recticles and two colors (red and green). I checked it out at Bass Pro Shops. It is a nice scope that looked like it would last a while. Around the $100 range.

http://www.tenpointcrossbow.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=94
diesel

Post by diesel »

My vote is for the Vari-zone.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Brian,
If you're experienced with the max-zone, and never have any problems I'd say the vari-zone might be the best choice. I had a problem with the vari-zone for deer hunting, though. Get a nice deer in the scope and my brain short-circuits all to often. :lol: With all the choices of aiming points I use the crosshair despite the actual range! I guess it's a combination of getting older along with years of hunting with a single crosshair in my rifle & pistol scopes, but I missed a few shots because the "put the crosshair on the target & squeeze the trigger" part of my experience took over at the moment of the shot. Not faulting the Excalibur scopes, just saying they're no the best for me. :wink:
I switched to a 3-dot red-dot this summer, and so far I like it. I sighted the center dot for 25 yards, which puts the arrow very close to where I want it from 20 to 30 yards using the center dot. The top dot is on from 10-15 yards, and the bottom is on at about 35-40 yards. I don't plan to shoot deer past 30 yards, but it's good to have a referance point beyond 30. I hope the fewer aiming points, plus the fact there's no crosshair to focus my attention on will cure the problem of forgetting to use the multiple range dots. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi