Is a xbow kill a P&Y score buck?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Is a xbow kill a P&Y score buck?

Post by crazyfarmer »

I read online somewhere that P&Y only enters compund, recurve, and longbow taken deer? So what the heck do we score deer under thats taken with a crossbow?
Digger

Post by Digger »

Use Boone & Crockett or American Crossbow Federations new record books. Pope & Young are in the anti-xbow camp.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/

http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=89
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yep, like Digger said. P&Y are crossbow haters...
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

was looking at the ontario record books, and sure didn't like to see an archery and a crossbow category, aren't they the same :evil: :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

American Crossbow Federation big game register
http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=108
wabi
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

note in the ont. book there is a separate category for each weapon and minimum requirments are different this is because the degree of difficulty of taking game with each varies with used.,it certainly wouldnt be fair to put crossbows in with vertical archery..does anybody know ifpope &young lumps together compounds and traditional?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bait pile willie wrote:note in the ont. book there is a separate category for each weapon and minimum requirments are different this is because the degree of difficulty of taking game with each varies with used.,it certainly wouldnt be fair to put crossbows in with vertical archery..does anybody know ifpope &young lumps together compounds and traditional?
bait, I believe they do... doesnt seem fair to lump old school longbows with new compounds either, but they do.

thanks for the info everyone on this
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Foundation for Recognition of Ontario Wildlife (FROW)

http://www.frow-biggamerecords.com/

Accepts trophies taken with crossbows.
Darz Bór!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

You can score your animals using the P & Y system or the B & C system or SCI or Buckamsters to get a relative score.

You just cant enter your animal in the P & Y book.

Many years ago you couldn't enter an animal taken with a compound at all. That had to be changed.

Then you could enter one that was taken with a 65%+ let off comound.

That changed too.

One day when there are more crossbowers than verticaa bowhtuers that will change again.

For right now who cares what the P & Y does?
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Woody Williams wrote:You can score your animals using the P & Y system or the B & C system or SCI or Buckamsters to get a relative score.

You just cant enter your animal in the P & Y book.

Many years ago you couldn't enter an animal taken with a compound at all. That had to be changed.

Then you could enter one that was taken with a 65%+ let off comound.

That changed too.

One day when there are more crossbowers than verticaa bowhtuers that will change again.

For right now who cares what the P & Y does?
I dont care, just was wondering why they didnt except xbow deer. Im sure like ya said, it will change in the next few years since lots of guys are switching.
Stout, im guessing you are only 17 :P 8)
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

My buck from last year qualified for Pope & Young, as it was taken with a compound. But my other two bucks from the two previous years where taken with the crossbow. Therefore, didn't qualify for their book. But all three bucks made the FROW book and they will be in the 5th edition.

bstout,

That racoon hat of yours looks very real!... :wink:
Ontario Trophy Bucks
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Yeah, they do get attached to you. I had one as well back in the early 80's, then we had a fire at our house and he was caught in the basement and ended up dying in the fire. I also had two dobermans and a siamese cat, but they got out ok.

BTW, Nice buck you arrowed yourself there!... 8)

Congrats!
Ontario Trophy Bucks
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

crazyfarmer wrote:
bait pile willie wrote:note in the ont. book there is a separate category for each weapon and minimum requirments are different this is because the degree of difficulty of taking game with each varies with used.,it certainly wouldnt be fair to put crossbows in with vertical archery..does anybody know ifpope &young lumps together compounds and traditional?
bait, I believe they do... doesnt seem fair to lump old school longbows with new compounds either, but they do.
I disagree with both. The degree of difficulty, ie. getting close, understanding animal behaviour, habits, habitat, etc. doesn't change with the tool you decide to use.

Fair? Unfair? We all picked the our bow of choice. We picked them for our own personal reasons. Vertical or horizontal they are all bows and should be treated as equals.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"