SHOOTING question w/ excal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taxman

SHOOTING question w/ excal

Post by taxman »

now that i have my scope question answered(thanks for the guy who posted the picXBOW MISIU) here's my delimia(sp)

if at 20 yards im dead on at 30 yards im hitting about 3-4 inces to the right fo the bullseye. i tried gold tips, xx75, and 10 pt carbons. they all hit right of aiming point. should i zero in for 30 yards and re-tweek my 20 yard bullseye? i was trying to really concentrate on my form at 30 yards. this is off hand but all the 30 yard shots were right.

im new to shooting my exocet. i used a 10 pt last year and sold it b/c it was just way too heavy-IMO.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I would suggest shooting from some type of solid rest till you get your xbow dialed in, then work on your shooting form because you'll know that your bow is right on target and your misses will show your mistakes not the bows I do this with whatever I am shooting whether it is a rifle, pistol, or xbow if the weapon is dialed in the mistakes are all mine M&M
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

I know Tenpoint recomends sighting in their 3 dot sights and 3 line scopes at 30 yds using the center line. The reason for that is due to the problem you have. 20 yds may not show a problem,30 yds a bit to the right and 40 yds,you are out a foot or more. :wink: I did sight my scope in that way and it worked very well.

..Al.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Once you have sighted in at 20 yds and are on the bull, your shots at 30, 40 or 50 yds should be over or under the bull not right or left. I have sighted in over a dozen Varizones at 20 yds, then at 40yds using only the speed ring to put a shot in the bull, then you'll be on at 10 to 50 yds.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Rich

Post by Rich »

It may be that your crosshairs are tweeked a little counterclockwise, make sure your vertical crosshair is perfectly straight up and down.

Rich
wabi

Post by wabi »

Canting your bow will cause you to shoot right/left! Keep the limbs level!
wabi
A.W

Post by A.W »

wabi wrote:Canting your bow will cause you to shoot right/left! Keep the limbs level!
Yup. That'll do it. You may want to consider buying a "level" to mount on your bow. When you're aoming you can flick your eye to the "level" and make sure it's straight.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
DustyinAZ

Post by DustyinAZ »

You can buy cheapo self stick trailer levels at Walmart or about any place that has camping equiptment Thats what I use on mine Thing I paid 2 or 3 bucks for 2 of them. I shoot with both eyes open so a quick glance I can see if Im level or not. I have my var-zone dialed in so it hits above or below the bull just I just turn the ring to drop it dead center.

~Dusty~
peter p

Post by peter p »

I would first get it zeroed at 30 yards then try 20 again.
Sometimes the arrows is still shifting to one side when it hits at 20 yards so it looks like it's centered.
The farther distance shot will tell you if your scope is zeroed properly.
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Exactly,any small mistake or not perfectly zeroed at 20 yards may not even be noticable, but the further out you shoot the more it will off center. 30 yards will give the arrow enough distance to show if you are off slightly or not.