Best Bolt-Broadhead Combo For Moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

walleye

Best Bolt-Broadhead Combo For Moose

Post by walleye »

I have been using an Exomag for a number of years for deer and recently switched over to Gold Tip II`s. I use 100gr. Wasp Hammer SST broadheads. They shoot okay, but I haven`t been happy with those bolts on deer...shattered-splintered arrows, etc. Same as a lot of people.

I`m heading moose hunting next month and was wondering if those arrows and broadheads would be suitable for moose. I am wondering about splintering if connecting with a rib, etc. In the past I had used the XX75 2216`s for deer and was thinking about going back to those.

What arrows and broadheads would you recommend for use on moose, but ideally that I could also use on deer? Any help would be welcome.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Walleye,

I'm sure there are pretty of guys on here from up North who can answer better than me, but I'll take a stab at it and go with a XX 2219 tipped with a 125 grain Thunderhead. Not to many critters over 150 pounds in VA so the stock set up of GT II/100 grain broadhead will tackle any deer here.

Rich
Tom

Post by Tom »

Walleye the 2219 with 125gr heads I think would be the best head/arrow for KE but I also believe that you do not need to go that heavy. The 2216 I believe would be sufficant for the job. Since you normally use a 100gr head, you can still use it. Using the same weighted head, there would be no need to learn the new tradjectory or a different weighted arrow. But even in saying that, that is not really much of a problem.

With the Exomag no matter what wieght arrow/head combo you use, you should have more then enough KE for moose. But remember, with moose, it is shot placement that counts the most more then KE. No matter how high your KE is, a shoulder shot will not do you any good.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
walleye

Post by walleye »

Thanks for the info...I guess I'll go back to the 2216's and stick with my 100gr. heads. As mentioned, with that combo I can use it for deer and moose and won't have to worry about changing anything when I flip back to deer. Thanks again!!
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Last year I used the G.T. Laser 2's with the same Wasp heads as yours for moose hunting. This year I am switching to the heavier Beamon Thunderbolts and the Wasp 100 gr. heads. These seem to shoot really good.

Where abouts do you go moose hunting and how's the forcast looking up there for this year? I go about 1 hr northwest of Thunder Bay.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
walleye

Post by walleye »

Schnarrfuss...I will be bow hunting near Hornepayne and rifle hunting north of Thunder Bay. Moose prognisis looks good. Numbers appear to be stable to increasing in the Northwest. Most areas west of Thunder Bay should be good and most units west and north are good choices. Some also have the bonus of a deer season at the same time. Its almost here!
shifty

Post by shifty »

I dropped my moose with gold tips and 140 grn montecs straight in the chest at 20 yrds with my exomag and the moose only went 10 yrds and dropped.