salt block?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

smitty

salt block?

Post by smitty »

will be heading up to manitoulin next weekend. looking to put down a salt block for the thanksgiving weekend hunt. is it too late for salt blocks, or is it better suited for apples or corn? if its cracked corn do you just spread it on the ground? thanks
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i put 2 out 2 weeks ago and see where some small deer have been to them, but they arent hitting them much. Im gonna take them back up next week

they will visit all year, but I think the main times they use one is in the spring/summer
M&M

Post by M&M »

try this take a 5 gallon bucket fill it with crack corn then pour in two 2 litre bottles of coke let the corn soak it up good and then put it down and the deer will just tear it up, and it is cheap so your not out a lot of money if you don't have any success. I tried this method last year and it did work for me. M&M
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Put mine out two weeks ago. They just started hitting it this week. I had corn down for part of the summer but had to stop 30 days before the season opens sept. 15th. I'll have to remember the coke and corn trick for next year. Tom
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

M&M wrote:try this take a 5 gallon bucket fill it with crack corn then pour in two 2 litre bottles of coke let the corn soak it up good and then put it down and the deer will just tear it up, and it is cheap so your not out a lot of money if you don't have any success. I tried this method last year and it did work for me. M&M
And I thought I had heard it all! Sounds like it works though!!

O ya! Is that diet or reg. coke? :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Tigerpaw wrote:
M&M wrote:try this take a 5 gallon bucket fill it with crack corn then pour in two 2 litre bottles of coke let the corn soak it up good and then put it down and the deer will just tear it up, and it is cheap so your not out a lot of money if you don't have any success. I tried this method last year and it did work for me. M&M

if you have fat deer try the diet :lol: :D
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

crazyfarmer wrote:
Tigerpaw wrote:

if you have fat deer try the diet :lol: :D
LOL :lol:
M&M

Post by M&M »

Regular coke works just fine. I know it sounds kind of goofy, and guys I work with told me about this last season, it was cheap enough to try so I thought what the heck I have wasted a lot more money on other dumb ideas so I tried it and it worked for me. M&M
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

smitty,
Please look up the old postings and you will see a great deal I have written on the subject of "salt" mineral blocks. Candidly, the this time of year blocks will not help the deer like blocks do in Spring and Summer. The bone is all done growing on the bucks and the does are nearly dried off getting ready to come into heat in a couple of months. The requirements of Ca and P are not as high as when the does are nursing and the bucks are growing antlers. Do a search on the topic and you will see very clear articles and posting regarding when to use mineral blocks.

Corn is a high-energy food with the results that speed up the metabolic rate of deer. So in hot weather corn will actually make the deer hotter. Once cool weather starts they will start hitting the corn hard to produce fat for winter. You need to be careful about how late you feed corn. Once the season is over (Dec 31) you should not feed a lot of corn as it actually speed up the metabolism and makes the deer use more of their fat reserves as the engine is running at higher RPMs. So, you can always start a feeding program in March and April as these are the toughest months for deer and the coldest weather is over.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur