Buck Bomb

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkman

Buck Bomb

Post by elkman »

has anyone used the "buck bomb" scent canisters?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive never had good luck with any scents.. find some doe and hunt around them and you have all the doe in heat scent you need :D

i see those scent bombs everywhere though.. I usually spoke more deer by puttign scent out and plus you leave your scent going to and from them

give it a try and see though.. it might work for ya 8)
terry-1

info

Post by terry-1 »

I saw the bombs in stock at the local hunting store but have not talked to anyone yet that bought any. I tend to agree with what is said above I have had very limted luck using deer urine scents. Over the past 20 years I can think of less than one handful of times I beleive deer scents made any difference on a hunt. One of the times they did work I had plain old tinks #69 on a hanging wick and watched a 23" wide 13pt buck walk straight to the scent wick from over 200 yards away with his nose in the air and stop at only 8ft away to smell the wick and to be shot by me. :D I can think of alot of better ways to spent my money now even though scents can work time to time. If you feel the need to buy them buy some urine from one of the whitetail farms around the net that bottle it fresh and sell direct to you for normall less money that store bought brands. I have done this a few times and had better luck with deer reacting to the scent and it smells nothing like the stuff you buy from a store which makes me wonder what I am buying at the store?
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

I have watched the latest programs on the dish which featured "Buck Bomb" with some results; but in the area where they hunted ,honestly I don't think it was necessary. How could any difference be noticed?

Most deer are used to people these days , depending if you hunt "deep" in vbirgin territory,

A drop or two of diesel fuel is my favourite cover scent ; never met a deer afraid of any farm equipment before !

Oneshot............
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
WaterRat

Post by WaterRat »

I forked out $8 last fall for the buck bomb and it does what it says it will do, put lots of scent out for a one day hunt. It's a quick and easy way to lay down a whole lot of scent. This year I sprang for the Themacell. It's a butane gizmo that heats up a pad the is soaked with your choice of scent. It also works with a bug repellant strip for early season. I'm a firm believer in mock scrapes and anything else a guy can do to increase his odds. I have seen some pretty comical displays by young deer when it comes to the insence sticks that you burn. I've had plenty of mature deer follow the scents plus follow the young does in. I'm a little more inclined to go with the fresh farm raised urine than all the bottle stuff in the big box stores and I guess the buck bomb falls in this category. I shot a mature buck the next morning after I used the bomb and maybe it was luck or maybe it was the bomb. All I know is what I see from my stand, deer are curious creatures and more times than not they follow their nose.
Good luck.....Matt
jaybird

Buck Bomb

Post by jaybird »

Ive used them last season and they worked great.Harvested a total of 8 deer last year while using the Buck Bomb.This year they are bringing out 2 Bear Bombs and a Bomb for Coyote hunting.
elkman

Post by elkman »

crazyfarmer wrote:ive never had good luck with any scents.. find some doe and hunt around them and you have all the doe in heat scent you need :D

i see those scent bombs everywhere though.. I usually spoke more deer by puttign scent out and plus you leave your scent going to and from them

just looking for any help i can get cuz im disabled and have to ride a atv to my blind. these bombs are relatively new and trying to get some idea if its worth trying
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

elkman wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:ive never had good luck with any scents.. find some doe and hunt around them and you have all the doe in heat scent you need :D

just looking for any help i can get cuz im disabled and have to ride a atv to my blind. these bombs are relatively new and trying to get some idea if its worth trying
sorry to hear that.. give it a try and you never know. Like terry said, ive only had deer come to scents a handful of times. I killed one nice buck that happened to walk by and stop to take a sniff so the 2-3 second stop was long enough.

It would all be a matter of luck. If the bucks have no doe's cycling in heat, then they would come running if they are in the area. Hopefully if you use it, 2-3 wallhangers will walk in for a shot;)

goodluck and im glad to see you havent given up hunting either.. I always told myself, I'd hunt out of my bed if I had to 8)
elkman

Post by elkman »

WaterRat wrote:I forked out $8 last fall for the buck bomb and it does what it says it will do, put lots of scent out for a one day hunt. It's a quick and easy way to lay down a whole lot of scent. This year I sprang for the Themacell. It's a butane gizmo that heats up a pad the is soaked with your choice of scent. It also works with a bug repellant strip for early season. I'm a firm believer in mock scrapes and anything else a guy can do to increase his odds. I have seen some pretty comical displays by young deer when it comes to the insence sticks that you burn. I've had plenty of mature deer follow the scents plus follow the young does in. I'm a little more inclined to go with the fresh farm raised urine than all the bottle stuff in the big box stores and I guess the buck bomb falls in this category. I shot a mature buck the next morning after I used the bomb and maybe it was luck or maybe it was the bomb. All I know is what I see from my stand, deer are curious creatures and more times than not they follow their nose.
Good luck.....Matt
i tried the thermacell last year and didnt get any reaction from deer(does and fawns) that were only a few feet away, so im gonna try something different this year. im disabled and its been about 10 years since i have gotten a buck so to be honest any sized buck would give me the excitment that i have known in the past. so im just looking for something(anything)that might better the odds.....jeff
mfh

Post by mfh »

I too have had not so great results...minding the wind, scouting and practice have landed me my deer. I have seen deer react to scent I used...sometimes good - but sometimes bad. I had four dow get completely skitish when they whiffed some "trails End" last year...same day, on small buck gave it a whiff, andother passed it by...

That said, my new hunting buddy swears by the buck bomb. Just had the conversation with him on this same topic a week ago...and he was adament they were the best thing out there.

for me...I am fortunate to have lots of deer in Virginia...so I can get a couple for the freezer, and then that is when I stay to play around with scents, calls, different camo and shooting heights etc...but for the first few - I just use the old traditional ways...
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Elkman,I think you would be better to get some DeerCane,the white powder stuff, out there instead of a scent product.

The deer,doe and buck will make a habit of coming to the lick and hopefully you will be waiting.

I've had tremendous results with that product,a fresh bag every year and your set.My second year with it the deer had it dug down 6" and 3' in dia. I pour it on an old stump and set up where the deer will be looking me in the sun.
:?