Pre-hunt Tip Summary

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSHOT

Pre-hunt Tip Summary

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I was just considering some of the best pre-hunt tips I have read on here over the years and there are quite a few!
Some of coarse are quite obvious but there are always some extra good tips which stand out!

Woody's Post on Techniques for "Tracking Wounded Deer"

bstouts tip on practicing with your bow from an elevation similar to your tree stand!

Others which include Pre-scouting

Food Plots

Land Owner Relationships

Shot Placement

Equipment Preparation i.e Arrow Tuning, Log Book, Field Equipment e.t.c

Butchering and Food Preparation

Even things like learning about different hunting scenarios, along with the above and many more topics, have really helped me gain a better understanding and appreciation of the Bow Hunting sport!

I have not been on the forum much lately but check everyday for some tid bit of info that I can try to cram in!

Reflecting on what I have learned, compells me to Thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and to wish you all a very safe and enjoyable hunting season!

Good Fortune Y'all! :D
Enjoy the Harvest!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Very true, what you just wrote, i've also learned a lot with all this very aged gentleman :lol: i mean experienced :lol: and it's just like Gary L catch phrase, "always learning" and when you think you know it all, someone's going to show you or teach you something new :!:
wabi

Post by wabi »

One of the toughest pre-hunt preperations I find is putting together a pack of accessories to take along. At the start of season I may be carrying a pack with enough provisions to survive for a week outdoors, but by season's end I have usually reduced the list to so few items I can stuff most of it in my pockets. :shock:
wabi
M&M

Post by M&M »

I think we all should remember why we hunt. For me it is the experience of being outdoors and taking in all that the good Lord has provided for free. If I shoot a deer great, but if I don't that is ok also because I also enjoy the time in the woods, whatching the greatest show on earth, nature. M&M
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

M&M,

You hit the nail right on the head. It is the greatest release from the hustle and bustle of "life" that I could ask for. My quiet time in the woods reminds me of what life is really all about.

I enjoy every minute off it, regardless of what critters happen to stroll by. I used to hunt with a guy who was so pissed off if he did not see a deer during the shotgun season (week long). I asked him why he got so bent out of shape and he said "It's hunting, I want to shoot something!"

That was the last outing we made together. We don't see eye to eye on what the hunting experience is all about.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

M&M and Ecoaster, I agree with you both. It is nice to see some people with the same views. Most of my hunting friends here think that success is defined by how much meat is in their freezer by the end of the season or how big their racks are. It realy drives me crazy sometimes.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
marmot

Post by marmot »

For me, the best part of hunting is being part of a fraternity. In today’s hi-tech overscheduled world, it is nice to be able to slow down and spend time with like-minded people pursuing an activity that is as old as mankind itself.
marmot

Post by marmot »

LV2HNT wrote:M&M and Ecoaster, I agree with you both. It is nice to see some people with the same views. Most of my hunting friends here think that success is defined by how much meat is in their freezer by the end of the season or how big their racks are. It realy drives me crazy sometimes.
How old are these friends?
M&M

Post by M&M »

marmot I am 44 years young M&M
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

ecoaster wrote: It is the greatest release from the hustle and bustle of "life" that I could ask for.

I'm feeling kind of burned out. My last paycheck I had 23 hours of overtime. This one coming up shouldn't be too far off. I can't wait to get out, sit in my treestand and RELAX!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

My work has been unusually constant this year. Not overloaded, but no really slow periods either. A welcome change from the usual "feast or famine" I usually have with self-employment.
Plus - my wife got her basic education and training finished and passed her state exams as a certified nurse's assistant. She plans to go on with the education, but she is working now, too.
I look for a sudden drop-off in my work as season approaches. :shock: :wink: :lol:
wabi