insert opinion here

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I switched with my Mag 2 years ago, and will never go back. Tighter groupings, less arc, more distance, and never need to worry about a bend in an arrow. I had a slight bend in an aluminum arrow, that could not be seen, I target practiced with that same arrow for an hour, and was not very consistent. I was hitting a 6 inch grouping, then I changed to a broadhead on the same arrow, and I was dam near a foot difference.

Took the arrow in to a bow shop, and several pairs of eyes showed me the very slight bend just where the vanes started. You will definately know when your carbon is broke!!!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Mighty Mooser not to argue, but with in reason I can get the same grouping and speed from Aluminium I can get with carbon. Granted I can not get the same wear and tear from aluminium that I can with carbon of which I do use for 3D.

It is just the simple fact a couple HAVE BUSTED while hunting and I switched to aluminium for hunting only. Practice and set up and they shoot as good as carbon any day.

My shoots are kept to a max of 35 yards and have had no problems with speed or flight with my hunting aluminium arrows.

However one must make this decision on his/her own and go with what they feel is best for them.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

like GaryL, I used to shoot carbons but after having a couple of them splinter I switched back to aluminum.... and GaryL is right.... I can get the same grouping and speed as I do with carbons as long as you spend the time to set it up right....
It's somewhat like "I can't eat anything that was killed by a shotgun...I could get lead poisoning!".

That is if I don't get hit by lightning on the way to my truck after I just won the lottery.
bstout... not to argue but isn't this the same tired slogan you had about CWD and BSE.... there are SEVERAL people in the span of 2 pages that state that they have had carbon shafts break or splinter in game (add me to that list).... and someone says that they know of someone who ingested carbon splinters and yet you choose to blow it off just like you did with the CWD / BSE discussion... (and on that topic there are a couple dozen people in Britain that would be more than willing disagree with you).... there are some people on this site that are just starting out and are looking for good advice.... it's just my opinion but yours doesn't fit the bill......
A.W

Post by A.W »

I prefer aluminium arrows. I don't want to take the chance of somebody swallowing a piece of carbon.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Cut up my own also. Had a carbon break last fall and just cut out a good 4-5inches around the affected area. No problem. A splinter will not have much KE and not travel very far. But you will only be sure if you process the animal yourself.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I prefer Aluminum over carbon because as stated previously I could not justify the extra cost when aluminum at least at 35 yards was grouping as well as carbons. Here is an article from the Easton Archery website by Chuck Adams. It is a little lengthly but a very good read.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/articles/a ... emyfav.asp
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

good find on that article buckeye... thanks for the link... 8)
Personal attacks are childish Stalker.
I agree... but it wasn't a personal attack... just my opinion.... just like you are entitled to your opinion that WRC's friend was negligent... and that GaryL is over cautious.... just so you know, I don't think that the odds are like being hit by lightning or winning the lottery like you let on.... given the number of posts on this topic and the number of people who say they have personal experience with carbon shaft failures I would say it happens more often than the shaft makers and others would like to admit... your point about processing yourself is right though... if you butcher the animal yourself you can be more thorough in the processing (and I usually do my own butchering).... however, I personally don't find it acceptable to remove 4 - 6 inches in diameter (or whatever is required).... simply because of a carbon shaft failure.... and having to work around a broken off broadhead and carbon splinters while gutting is not acceptable either
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

After having a carbon shatter in a deer last year. I now shoot carbons just for practice during the year. Shoot 2216's for the deer season. Very little difference at the yardage I limit myself to. Tom