New RAGE BROADHEADS ?????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

questmqn

New RAGE BROADHEADS ?????????

Post by questmqn »

Has anyone tried these Rage broads in a crossbow. I'm thinking of going to them, but I heard that o-rings tend to break when using a crossbow bolt
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

The Rage MECHANICALS do not use a O-ring. They have an internal clip that holds everything in place. I have shot them with a targets and the operate fine. They are new this year and we are all waiting to try them on the real thing. Spitfires use an internal devices also and do not require O-rings. Many of us who shoot mechanicals are really pleased with Spitfires. But Rage has advanced the technology with a cut on contact rather than an over-the-top blade system.

If you are looking for a performance in the field evaluation you will have to wait on for the season to open before we can tell you about the Rage.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
questmqn

rage

Post by questmqn »

I was told that there is an o-ring on the bottom the hold the blades up. They also said they don't hold up well and did give a site to order extras??? I think I saw the thread on archery.com. I'm confused??
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Go to Cabela's website and you can see the Rage. After you check it out you will be able to go directly to the manufacturer's web site and see it all.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Ontario Trophy Bucks
questmqn

rage

Post by questmqn »

I went to the website and looked under the heading "Shocklock". There is an o-ring just under the blades. I guess these are the o-rings they said wear out quickly. But that looks loike one mean broadhead. It is expensive though.
Thanks for all the help.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Man I got to tell you there is NO O-RING with the Rage. What you think is an O-ring is simply a rubber "shock absorber" built into the system to absorb and return some of the energy of a bone hit. I own 6 rage heads and there are no o-rings. When the arrow, with no shock absorber, hits bone (rib) there is a loss of energy as the bone absorbs much of the energy carried by the arrow and dissipates the energy along the length of the rib. The shock absorber helps to prevent the loss of some of the energy and assist the arrow in continuing through the rib and deer. The NAP Spitfire also does not have an O-ring. If you want to shoot a cutting system with an O-ring there are many great products out there. Good luck.
questmqn

Post by questmqn »

There is an o-ring as I talked to the manufacturer today, but you are right, it does act as a shock absorber. I was also told that the o-rings do wear out fairly fast, but can be purchased cheaply at any hardware store. I was simply concerned about them wearing out/breaking and having to give up an arm to replace them as you do with some "unnamed heads. I am looking forward to using them. They sure do look deadly.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Technaically the "shock absorber" is made from an o-ring. However, in mechanicals the o-ring is referred to as the rubber required to hold the mechanical's blades in the position for flight on th eold style blade system. So in the usual application of the o-ring term Rage does not have one; but it does use a shock absorber and that is constructed from an o-ring. Regarding wear of the shock absorber, it would depend on your shot. It you are spliting bone other than ribs, like shoulder or spine, you need to replace or sharpen your blades and replace the shock absorber. Solution buy a new packet. However, with a three pack that should get you through a pile of deer if you are shooting double lung or other vitals. Good luck and let us know how the Rage works for you. We are all looking for your feedback and close up photos in enter and exit point. I intend to shave the hair off aroung the exit and enterence wounds to be able to really see what has occurred. Hope you will think of doing the same so we can all see how they operated.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

O ring or no o ring. The practice broadhead that comes with Rage broadheads flies pretty true. I'm a bit concerned tatttt it may "open" in flight as the blades don't appear to be held in place very tightly. We shall see.

One other thing. The practice broadhead does not have "true blades" on it so it doesn't cut a 2 in swath through your target. Have to use a real broadhead to determine if they open in flight.

Anybody do that yet?
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
questmqn

RAGE

Post by questmqn »

I'm not sure where I saw it, but yes someone did shoot it at a target with the regular blades and yes, it did cut a 2" swath through the target. He also said it opened at any angle he shot it at. I saw it either on NAHC site or archerytalk.com. You can also visit their web site to get more info on it.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

joeumholtz,
The only things I can say is:
1. Try the broadhead on a 3 D or foam target yourself. A few of us have.
2. Don't use it if you are not confident. Fixed Broadhead, O-ring mechanicals or no O-ring mechanicals. It is all the same as long as you enjoy what you are doing. One guy I know wants to hunt with a spear. The meat is great; the test and challenge is even more fun.

Those of us who are always interested in pushing the edge of the envelope will tell you what the real life experience is this fall or you can read other people reports in the hunting mags or try it yourself and give everyone feedback. It is experimenting that improves the sport. If we did not improve we would still be using flint heads. Wow would that be awesome hunt and kill.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

Thanks, it's good to know it opens at the target. My concern is in it opening in flight when I launch it from my Exocet. If they were shooting it from something equivalent I guess I don't need to worry. If not, I guess I'll be trying it before the season.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

or

questmqn

RAGE

Post by questmqn »

That shouldn't happen. If I have it right, the blades actually deploy to the rear opening up on contact. I know I have read several posts that have stated that they fly the same as the field points. If they opened up in flight, they would plane like a fixed head. I plan to give them a try this season and see what happens.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

You have it right. That's exactly how they open. There just doesn't seem to be a lot that holds them in the "closed " position. I'm afraid that the sudden change from zero forward motion to 300 ft/sec will jar them open. We shall see.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

or