Easton Carbon Power Bolts: First impressions...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pokynojoe

Easton Carbon Power Bolts: First impressions...

Post by pokynojoe »

I received a dozen of these bolts this week and started to play around with them. For anyone that might be interested, here’s the skinny:

I weighed all the 20” bare shafts and they ranged in weight from 213.7grs. to 214.3grs. For a nominal of weight of 10.7 grs per inch. I also weighed all the inserts and flat end nocks for a range of 42.5grs to 42.7 grs., and 37.1grs. to 37.4grs., respectively. I selected six shafts, inserts, and nocks, all within a tenth of a grain in their respective group. I split these into two groups.

Group one was fletched with 4” Duravanes. Group two was fletched with 4” RW parabolic feathers. All points were 100gr. field points. The arrows were all fletched with a 4 degree offset. Group one weighed in at 424 grains give or take a tenth. As an aside, I have been shooting some xx78 super slams, 2216’s that I made up this summer and they weigh almost exactly the same. Group two weighed in at 409 grains with the same deviation. As you can see the difference between the two groups is 15 grains. Group one has an FOC of 11.9%. Group two has an FOC of 12.5%.

How did they perform? I kept the two groups separate, and shot ten, three shot groups from thirty yards. The bow is a Phoenix, 2005 model with excel string, brace height of 1 1/8”. I used a Tenpoint 3x preview scope,(yea, I know, but I like the little colored dots!). Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to chronograph these, so all observations were rather subjective as relates to speed. Relatively speaking, both type bolts seemed to arrive at the target in the same interval.

How about accuracy? I had the most accurate groups I have ever shot with group one (vanes). My last group measured a little under ¾” with POI the same as POA. I also shot several groups a little more than 1”. After the first two groups, all groups were less than 2”. Personally, I have never shot that well offhand. The feathers did well to, but due to the higher profile of the feathers, I think I was getting some interference with the spring clip that holds the bolt in place on the barrel. The best I was able to do was 2 ½” give or take. They did shoot to the same POA as the vanes.

How about penetration? I hung 8 layers of tightly woven, thick new carpet remnants in front of my bag target. At twenty yards the bolts would penetrate almost to the fletching, both groups, no real difference. At thirty yards, they would penetrate a little more than half way. That’s through all 8 layers of carpet and a good 3” into the bag. Again, no difference between group one and two. I was running out of time, but I did get a chance to try a broadhead. I used a wasp SST and took a couple shots from thirty yards. I have used this type of target set up before for broadheads and never got a pass through with either a 2216 or a GT Laser II from this distance. I selected a bolt from group one to shoot and got complete pass-through on both shots. I might also note that POI was the same as POA. Of course, I didn’t shoot enough to confirm this, but it’s promising.

My conclusions? It’s my opinion that if your looking to replace your Laser II’s, you will have to accept a reduction in speed. Having said that, I believe this is one tough bolt, and if you’re looking for penetration, this might fit the bill. My accuracy with these was great, especially with the vanes, as I said I have never shot that well before. Also, broadhead flight shows great promise, but this will require further testing to confirm. I shall endeavor to persevere further.

Regards
Joe
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds promosimg Joe. How is the noise from the bow with the heavier arrows?
wabi
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

This is purely a subjective opinion wabi, but it's not enough that I would notice, but then again, I'm half deaf anyway. Too many years of shooting firearms when I was younger without the proper hearing protection, don't ya know.

Regards
Joe
exocet

Post by exocet »

They sound great!! I am going with the GT`s this year, but next spring, I may give the Powerbolts a go. I don`t mind a little slower for accuracy and penatration, I believe in double lung pass thrus :D Jack.
TYE

Post by TYE »

The Easton Carbon Power bolts are the same thing as the Beman Thunderbolts.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Wow, didn`t know that. Which company makes them for which? Either way, if they are good and consistent, I will probably switch to them as I am not happt with GT`s move to Mexico. Jack.
TYE

Post by TYE »

exocet wrote:Wow, didn`t know that. Which company makes them for which? Either way, if they are good and consistent, I will probably switch to them as I am not happt with GT`s move to Mexico. Jack.
Easten and Beman are the same company. It's kind of like Hoyt and Reflex or Bowtech and Diamond. PSE and AR. Same sort of deal.

I have Beman Thunderbolts and they're great. They shoot perfect. I'm thinking about ditching my Gold Tips and using the Thunderbolts again.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Good info!! What kind of Knocks do I get installed in them? My GT 2`s came with some kinda flat insert with threads? Thanks-Jack.
A.W

Post by A.W »

exocet wrote:Good info!! What kind of Knocks do I get installed in them? My GT 2`s came with some kinda flat insert with threads? Thanks-Jack.
Sounds like you have the correct knocks. The threaded part is for screwing your Excal arrow puller into.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ght=puller
Last edited by A.W on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Thanks A.W. I was reffering to the eastom or Beamons as to what Knock inserts to get installed in them? I don`t know what they call them? Thanks-Jack.
TYE

Post by TYE »

exocet wrote:Thanks A.W. I was reffering to the eastom or Beamons as to what Knock inserts to get installed in them? I don`t know what they call them? Thanks-Jack.
Flat nocks :)
exocet

Post by exocet »

Thanks Bro 8) Jack.
TYE

Post by TYE »

exocet wrote:Thanks Bro 8) Jack.
No problem Jack :)
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have seen the easton power bolts on sale at dunhams but they have half moon nocks in them. Can the half moon nocks be removed and replaced with the flat ones? They appear to be made of plastic, or could I just file them so they are flat? M&M
TYE

Post by TYE »

M&M wrote:I have seen the easton power bolts on sale at dunhams but they have half moon nocks in them. Can the half moon nocks be removed and replaced with the flat ones? They appear to be made of plastic, or could I just file them so they are flat? M&M
I would say file them so they're flat.

I have Beman Thunderbolts (Same thing as the Easton Powerbolts, and mine have half moon nocks. They fly the same as my Gold Tip's. I tried to take the moon nocks out of the Beman's once and it didn't go to well. I may file them down so they're flat just for the hell of it. But I'm not sure how to do it. Worried I might not get it perfect and be on a slight angle that I wouldn't notice, and then having a miss fire or something.