string serving

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SOUP

string serving

Post by SOUP »

FOLKS ,
Does anyone replace or rewrap their string serving when it wears ? Or do you just replace the string ? If you do replacce it -how is it done.
Thank you for your time.
SOUP
" YOUTH IS WASTED ON THE YOUNG "
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

mines wearing some also.. I checked everything to make sure the trigger isnt cutting it and all is well on mine. Its just all funky in the middle where the trigger latches catch it.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

As was pointed out to me sometime last year, replacing the center serving on your string is easy. It requires a few dollars for a serving tool and a spool of serving string. Cross bow center serving is available from Dan Miller and various other venders, I believe bowhunterssuperstore sells it. Do a search on here for "serving" and you should find direction to some websites that explain string making and serving your string. It took me a few tries but now my technique is adequate, believe me, if I can learn how to do this, anyone can! Good luck!

Joe
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Once you learn how, replacing your own serving is not only rewarding, but also satisfying. Unlike commerically served strings done hastily, you know by taking your time, it's done right, and will last longer. At least mine do.

If you feel that you're not up to the task, I've heard that both BJ and Dan Miller do super serving jobs. To make it worth your while, just save up a couple of strings that need re-serving and send them off to them. You'll get back served strings that you will be please with.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Rich

Post by Rich »

What size is the serving on EXCAL strings, the serving I've seen appears to be smaller in diameter.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Serving is easy, but very hard to describe how to do.
One thing I will mention is that there are two directions (clockwise or counterclockwise) serving can be wrapped. I have found it is important to pay attention to direction. If you shoot a bow with fingers, or cock a crossbow "by hand" (using your fingers to pull the string) you are exerting a force on the serving when you pull the string. If you are tightening the serving with this force all is fine. If you are loosening the serving, it will sometimes actually come loose and unwind in time! Tough to put in words, but let's talk crossbow strings here. You are pulling back with your fingers on top of the string. If the serving is wrapped CCW from left to right you are tightening it as you pull. If you serve CW from left to right you will be trying to unwind the serving as you pull back.
Both Brownell & BCY make crossbow serving. It is heavier (.036 diameter) and it is resin coated for durability. I'm using BCY's serving and it works fine for me. I had my local pro-shop order it for me and he found BCY more readily available & it was less expensive.
wabi