Lucky I guess but it does not seem to matter which broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Interesting, I also have not experienced the erratic broadhead flight that I've been reading posted on here from time to time. Whether it be GT laser II's, 2216's, or more recently the Easton Powerbolts I've been playing with, broadhead flight seems to be fairly consistent with field tip POI. I've only been using two kinds of broadheads though, maybe that has something to do with it.

Regards
Joe
Rich

Post by Rich »

I think everyone has their own opinion of "erratic". When I see the statement "flys the same as fieldtips" I expect to have the tip of the broadhead dead center in the hole of the fieldtip. I have not found a broadhead that does that. Everything I have shot (Thunderhead, Muzzy, Montec) seems to shot within 2" of my fieldtips and I find that erratic. Once I rezero for the broadhead I have very good performance, which I can live with. I still have not tried the Slicktricks. Tired of spending money to find a broadhead that "flys like a fieldpoint".

Rich
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

That's a very good point Rich. I should perhaps clarify. I supposed we could make a distinction between accuracy and precision. I should have been more specific. So, here goes. Given the fact that I am only able to shoot off-hand, that throws quite a variable into the mix. Having said that, my experience has been that groups I shoot with field tips, and groups I shoot with broadheads are in fact, "fairly consistent" to the same POI. To make the statement "flies the same as field tips" would be extremely presumptous of me to make, given my level of shooting ability. Although I aspire to be able to put arrows of any kind, in the same hole consistently, I doubt I'll ever achieve that level of precision. As you pointed out, how one defines these decriptive terms we casually throw around is subjective. In the future, I shall endeavor to be more specific as it relates to my experience.

Regards
Joe
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:I think everyone has their own opinion of "erratic". When I see the statement "flys the same as fieldtips" I expect to have the tip of the broadhead dead center in the hole of the fieldtip. I have not found a broadhead that does that. Everything I have shot (Thunderhead, Muzzy, Montec) seems to shot within 2" of my fieldtips and I find that erratic. Once I rezero for the broadhead I have very good performance, which I can live with. I still have not tried the Slicktricks. Tired of spending money to find a broadhead that "flys like a fieldpoint".

Rich
I havent seen most field tips his the EXACT same hole. They will hit very close and sometimes hit the same hole, but no matter what we are shooting bows and not rifles here. They arent gonna be dead accurate. If you can get every shot in about a 3-4inch group with a bow freehand than you are good to go.

I shot a slick trick for the first time 2 days ago and it smacked the bullseye dead center at 30yards. Same area if not better than the field point did lol
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I guess that I also got lucky. Remember last year when Gold Tip had a weight problem with their lazer II bolts ? Well I got some of those defective bolts and contacted Gold Tip. They asked for my address and within a week, the ups truck arrived at my house with 2 boxes of lazer II bolts. Inside was a note from the rep that I had spoken to on the phone informing me that all 24 bolts were hand selected and weighed before shipment. I Installed the inserts and butt nocks on 6 of the bolts and topped them with 100gr. Montec G5s. From a shooting rest, I was able to put every shot within a 3 inch circle on my target at 20 and 30 yards. Now that may not be acceptable to some, but it is for me. Just sharing my experience with "Custom" lazer IIs :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Rich

Post by Rich »

I guess I can stop my quest for the perfect broadhead now, you guys cleared a lot up, I figured everyone was shooting bullet holes compared with fieldtips. I finally decided what I am going with, it was a toss up between the Wasp Boss and Muzzy 100 grain 4 blades. Both shot identical, as far as compared to field tips, they were within an inch of fieldtips at 20 yards. Both shoot dead on out to 50 yards, I'm going with the Muzzy's since I already have 2 packs.

Rich
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I got'ta tell ya. I think it's academic anyway. Given the fact that the overwhelming majority are using their bows to hunt with, I think most, if not all would be tuning their bow to whatever their choice of broadhead/arrow combination might be, before they head out into woods or field. At least I hope they would be. Assuming I ever could get the two to end up in the same hole, would I check my zero and tune before I go hunt? You betcha!

Regards
Joe
M&M

Post by M&M »

The 5 blade ones are most likely the old razorback 5's from NAP they weighed 142 grn and they also made a razorback 4 at 125 grn I used them both years ago and they worked well but they stopped making them don't know why? but a couple of years ago they came out with a new razorback broadhead but it is nothing like the old one I would like to see them come back with the origonals again. M&M
M&M

Post by M&M »

Yes they were the blades were mounted on a sort of cone I guess and you could remove them off the shaft of the broadhead to replace blades. Many people liked them. M&M