mechanical vs fixed broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kinger

mechanical vs fixed broadheads

Post by kinger »

hi im trying to find a new broadhead should i go with mechanical ?? ive heard lots of good things about them but then theres the failure thing to worry about any suggestions of broadheads that i should look into would be appreciated... i shoot and Excal exocet 175 with varizone scope fast flight string and gold tip carbons
TYE

Post by TYE »

Try the Wasp's like I suggested. You won't regret it.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Kinger ...

I can't comment on the performance of mechanicals, as I've never used one. Not against them, just never had one to use.

I have, however, put many a hole in many a deer with traditional fixed broadheads of all kinds, in both the cut-on-contact and puncture-tip (Muzzy type) variety ... and I've never had any problem with standard heads, or seen a need to use mechanicals.

I just put two wonderfully permanent holes (in and out!) in a big doe this morning with a Wasp Boss SST 3-blade broadhead supplied in Excalibur's The Right Stuff package ... that bolt blew thru her like it was picking up speed, and she was down for the count in about 60 yards ... watched her fall.

Personally, I think the whole song and dance about mechanicals flying like field points is way overblown, and a bit of a marketing ploy at that ... what do you expect them to do but play up the fact that fixed heads can be a bit tricky in flight? Face it ... they're selling the alternative, so they're not going to be telling you that most people have no real problems getting regular old broadheads to group just fine.

So what if expandables do fly like field points? So do many fixed-blade heads, for all intents and purposes ... some to a slightly different point of impact, some not ... but most are accurate and easy to sight-in with.

The one big advantage I can see with mechanicals is if they do indeed fly EXACTLY to the same point of impact as your practice field points ... if you're interested in extreme precision, and do a lot of target shooting during hunting season. I would make this observation: Even if you sight in specifically for broadheads, your field points will still fly to a given place in relation to your crosshair position, and it doesn't take long to figure out where that is ... and you're back shooting bullseyes anyway.

Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other, as in most things. Fixed heads always do a good job if you know how they're shooting. Mechanicals should do well too, perhaps with less sighting-in work ... but I think some of them might be more iffy on marginal shots, for sure.

Your choice. I've had wonderful success with Muzzys in the past. The Wasp seems about the same. Take your pick, but I think I'll stick ... with fixed-blades, for now.

Grizz
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I have used the Grimreapers with my Paradox,three tries,three deer,no problem.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I had been using muzzy 3blade 100gr's on my compound and those worked awesome when shooting 215fps. I hear they dont fly so well around 300fps though, but some like them still. Im using slick tricks and those are about dead on for a fixed blade! The wasps fly well also.

Splitfires seem to be the choice of the ones that open upon contact though..

either way, any broadhead will probably be dead on up to 25yards. After that some may glide or fly weird.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

if your are not sure which broadhead to use bill troubridge solves the problem for you, the wasps he includes in the right stuff package works just fine or they wouldnt be there.I HAVE TAKEN SEVERAL BEAR AND DEER WITH THEM.i ave done the same with muzzys which I will use again onlly because I have run outof wasps.my first harvest of the season was a bear and the muzzy worked to perfetion,leaving a long difficult recovery of only 50 feet.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

kinger,
The mechanical issue is well discussed on this forum. There are 131 threads relating strictly to mechanicals. Go to the top of the page and beside FAQ you will see Search. Do a search on mechanical and you will see a ton of stuff as well as websites relating to Broadheads, O- ring mechanicals and non-O-ring mechanicals. I have hunted with Broadheads and switched to mechanicals years ago. I will never go back. Never experienced failure with the O-ring and now the new technology uses retention fitting in the head itself. Do the search and you will be able to make an informed decision based on your style of hunting and levels of comfort.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

I would go with the NAP Spitfires... thats what I shoot and they are amazing. Exact same point of impact as field tips... same groups... and they DO hit hard!!!! No complaints here, and I doubt I will shoot fixed-blades, I tried out some last year, but couldn't get them to group worth a crap so I stuck to the mechanicals.
It's not a Passion. It's and Obsession.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hey Jesse, how'd the Wasp's work for ya?
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Ive used both and I have killed and lost bucks with both..I have to say that fixed are more forgiving on shot placement....for instance If the point of impact is at a angled away entry the the mech will open incorrectly and could result in incomplete opening and poor penetration. It happened to me....Where a fixed blade would charge on in and do the job...The key is to wait for a proper shot for a mechanical blade. I did like the way the mechs flew. I have no problems with the way fixed flys..So Its all in what you end up liking and feel confident with..Good luck this season..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
kinger

Post by kinger »

Hey tye.. The wasps worked perfect with my setup thanks for suggesting them... they flew great.. i was hitting the bulls eye from 10-50 yards which was great they flew just as good as the field points so yea im happy with the purchase just a couple more weeks and ill be able to try them out on a deer hopefully :wink:
TYE

Post by TYE »

No problemo :)

I went outside and was doing some 20 yard shooting. I took a shot from what I had guessed being 50 yards, and this is how close I came to the bottle cap from my 50 yard guess. Unfortunately I never got another chance to hit the bottle cap, cuz it started to rain out.

jw

Post by jw »

I killed two does in the last two days with Wasp JackHammers.They work well with two O Rings!