Bow stringer broke!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Beaver

Bow stringer broke!

Post by Beaver »

I was putting the string on my Vixen with the Excal bow stringer. One of the plastic over the limb cups split down the middle. :shock: It made my fingers feel real good as I was just slipping the string into the grove. :evil: I super glued it back together but am chicken to use it again. :( Is this the first and only time this has ever happened to anyone?
I never was as good as I used to be.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Eeek!! That doesn`t sound good. I would call Excalibur and tell them what happend. Jack.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I wouldn't trust super glue to that task.

Get a 1/4" thick sheet of soft strong plastic, about 3" square, and drill a 1" hole in the middle. Then drill a 1/4" hole in one corner and tie the stringer end that broke to the corner of the plastic.

You may have to open the hole a bit wider for your limb to fit in, and you may have to adjust the length of the string so that it will allow you to cock the bow and restring.

I made my own stringer this way. The main problem is getting good cord for the purpose, and it is nice to have the plastic sleeve on the cord where the trigger mechanism locks.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GaryL

Re: Bow stringer broke!

Post by GaryL »

Beaver wrote:I was putting the string on my Vixen with the Excal bow stringer. One of the plastic over the limb cups split down the middle. :shock: It made my fingers feel real good as I was just slipping the string into the grove. :evil: I super glued it back together but am chicken to use it again. :( Is this the first and only time this has ever happened to anyone?
SEE: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... t=stringer
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
rabuol

Stringer

Post by rabuol »

I thought when my stringer (blue) split in half...the incident was an isolated event...but I guess not !

Imagine, this happened on the first restringing after having new limbs installed by Excalibur. Luckily my fingers or arm were not in the way.

To say the least, it's one scary experience.

I feel the design is at fault...too many holes on the one side (there's a lot of pressure exerted on those limbs).

Excalibur said they were going to replace the broken stringer.

Rabuol
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

call excal, talk to Peter.. tell him you are a forum member and that the stringer broke. They should replace it more than likely.

I always wear mechanics gloves when shooting in the backyard. Just in case something gives or breaks so I dont mash or cutup my hand LOL
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I did the same as Hi5. I had an old 1/2" hard plastic cutting board. I cut 2 pieces of the material and used a paddle bit to drill a 1" hole through the middle, then looped my string through the same hole. Works great! :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray