Do other animals eat salt licks?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Perch74

Do other animals eat salt licks?????

Post by Perch74 »

Hello Everyone
l bought some apple flavoured salt blocks, smashed them with a hammer and put them in a pile near a good deer run. Went back three days later and it's almost all gone. l saw a few deer tracks but was wondering if any other animals would have helped the deer eat it if it was on the ground.
Thanks
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Yes, all animals require salt. However, many animals get it from the their prey in the form of salts in the blood of the other animals they eat. Herbivores however, are more dependent on the natural salts present in the land producing the forage being consumer. Some salts are in short supply on many soil types. Thus, the need for salt licks. If your domestic animals require licks there is a really good chance all the other plant eaters on your land also require it. Rabbits and Hares are famous for their love of salt. Squirrels mice woodchucks and most rodent like creatures need their NaCl, MgCl and CaCl. Pass the shaker please.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I find deer give up on salt licks by oct.I only put them out in late mar,to late july when deer need them the most.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

BPW
The deer give up on the salt licks in October as the does are terminating milk production so the need for Ca and P is reduced. Bucks are all done growing antler so again the Ca, Mg and P are also not required in the quantities they are needed from April through Aug. It is a good idea to put out salt when the fetus is entering its 4 month (mid March) in the North. The need for bone development for a doe carrying twins is huge from March through Aug. Hope this helps.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've watched squirrels lick my salt block.
wabi
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I'm with wabi. Spent the better part of the morning watching squirrels chewing on my salt block.