bear head

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wild willie

bear head

Post by wild willie »

any of you guys ever cleaned out a bear head ,just got it back from taxidermists it measured 21/78th ,is there a easy way to get the flesh offtks wild willie
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

The local guys here bury their deer heads in the ground to the where the antler joins the skull.It's done in the late fall and early winter and approx. late spring the bugs and whatever have eaten the flesh,brains,etc. and only a slight bleaching is done and a european skull is the result.I suppose it would work for a bear :?
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

The taxidermist who did mine uses antibacterial dishsoap and water. Put the soap in a bucket of water. Put the skull in the bucket. Top up with water every once in a while. But don't pour the water out, the longer it sits the more of the "flesh eating" bacteria there will be.

When done you will need to use an air compressor to blow out the hollow lower jaw bones and any other cavities. Otherwise over time you will have fat and other material seep/ drip out of your skull.

Epoxy will be needed to keep the teeth in place and probably to set the two halves of the lower jaw back together.

Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide can be used to whiten the bones.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

My brother made a European mount once by the boiling and scraping method.

When it was clean and dry, and the teeth glued in and the jaw wired, he spray-painted the skull (not antlers) with an off-white flat paint ... and it looked absolutely GREAT ... makes me wonder if taxidermists don't paint theirs.

I think European heads look neat.

Grizz
wild willie

Post by wild willie »

:) thanks for the info wild willie
deerman

Post by deerman »

Boiling and picking work best. I use my old pot and a propane turkey cooker. Cabela's has a kit that is well worth the $. You also use peroxide on it. I think the kit cost is $20.00.