Ruffed Grouse and spruce Grouse

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty Mooser

Ruffed Grouse and spruce Grouse

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Can one use a crossbow for these, and if so what do you use on the end of your carbon bolts that would not make a mess of the bird or smash the arrow? Also is it legal to use a crossbow for moose during rifle season? This would be mid week after one or two moose, hunting grouse mainly, but would have a broadhead just in case a calf pops out. Just a thought!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
leonk

Post by leonk »

me thinks you can use x-bow for ruffed grouse, I am not sure about the
spruce. sure can use for moose during gun season. it's not "archery ONLY"
season, but x-bow of sufficeit draw weight and broahdead size (what else they list in the regs..?) should be fine. you might have to wear orange -
read the regulations.
Tom

Post by Tom »

leonk wrote: sure can use for moose during gun season. it's not "archery ONLY"
season, but x-bow of sufficeit draw weight and broahdead size (what else they list in the regs..?) should be fine. you might have to wear orange -
read the regulations.
In Ontario YOU MUST WEAR HUNTER ORANGE DURING THE GUN SEASON FOR DEER OR MOOSE (no matter if your hunting deer or moose or hunting something else). You must also wear hunter orange if you are hunting bear, if you go into a treestand, then you can remove the hunter orange. If your hunting something other then bear during the bear gun season, you Do Not Have To Wear Hunter Orange.

And like leonk said, you can use archery to hunt moose (or deer or bear) during the rifle season. Something that alot of people do not know is that during the rifle season you can use your archery equipment, and have a rifle loaded beside you for backup (were the Regs allow rifles, otherwise shotguns might be used).

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
duber

Post by duber »

I was thinking last year , while watching a young buck when I was in my moose stand, that a fellow should bring the crossbow with ya during the moose season and have both rifle and crossbow in the stand .Rifle for moose and excal for the deer that wander in.I can't find anything that says this is not legal.Anybody know if it is or not?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Duber it is legal ot carry more then one hunting weapon in the field with one at any legal hunting time. They can all be loaded at the same time for a READY TO USE situation. The only time you Can not have more than one weapon uncased is for migatory bird

Another stipulation is that the hunting tools of choice must be within the regulations. To carry a rifle, there must be a rifle season which you have a licience for. If there is an Archery only season, then you can't carry a rifle or shotgun. For years I have carried the shotgun and crossbow while turkey hunting.

Hope that helps you.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

A shocker, judo or rubber blunt would do the trick on the grouse. I'm going to have one in my quiver tonight. A grouse has taken up residence in a bush near the stand.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
duber

Post by duber »

Thanks Tom.Sounds like my exocet may be making a trip north next weekend :wink: .That would be the ultimate hunt , a moose with the rifle and a deer with the excal!A bear would make it a "hat-trick".

A man can dream right! :lol: :lol:

Sorry about high-jacking your thread Mooser :oops: