I know this isn't crossbow related but...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

I hunt deer, and moose and bear... so I need the punch for the moose and bears.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I also thought about getting a slug shotgun instead.
JR

Post by JR »

A slug gun? Like this?

It shoots the Partition Gold's into 2" groups at 100 yards.

-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

that close a distances sound like you need a lever action with open sights, that what i would get. one of the guys i hunt during the rifle week up on 47, shot a winchester lever action on a 32 special, short little rifle, with some serious pop, and once you get used to shoting open sight you can reach quiet far.
exocet

Post by exocet »

The Stevens 200 is just a Savage 110 before the Accutrigger, with a grey composite stock. They are cheap in price, but long on value and accuracy. No worries with this gun, I am very close to getting one. They are very popular here in the US and usually go for between $259-299 USD. Jack.
deerman

Post by deerman »

Tye stay away from the 710;a friend of mine has one and it is junk!!!! He wouldnt listen to me and spent another 150-200 bucks and so he got junk.It has a recall that it will go off when put on safety;his did do that in camp.Tye look at the TC Encore,Tika or Howa line good guns that you can pass on down to your kids some day.Its like the difference between Excalibur and Horton;there is no comparison.I do have these guns that I have suggested and they have never failed me yet.
exocet

Post by exocet »

The Howa is a great value, made in Japan, at least they use to be :D Jack.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

TYE.... it all personal preference but I agree with deerman about quality.... any guns I had that gave me any problems are gone... the only guns I have now are Sako, Tikka or Browning.... if I shoot something with the Exomag and the bolt bounces off it.... I've got them as a back up...... :lol:
marmot

Post by marmot »

TYE wrote: I hunt thick stuff. My shots are 99% of the time within 50 yards. So I'm lookin' for heavy calibre's.

Right now I shoot a 180gr .30-06 Winchester Silvertip bullet.
Well then...you should go with my old standby; namely, the Marlin 336C 30/30 Win (also available in 35 Rem). IMHO, it is the best brush gun ever built! If you want some real knock-down power in a brush gun, look at the Marlin 1985 45/70.
exocet

Post by exocet »

marmot wrote:
TYE wrote: I hunt thick stuff. My shots are 99% of the time within 50 yards. So I'm lookin' for heavy calibre's.

Right now I shoot a 180gr .30-06 Winchester Silvertip bullet.
Well then...you should go with my old standby; namely, the Marlin 336C 30/30 Win (also available in 35 Rem). IMHO, it is the best brush gun ever built! If you want some real knock-down power in a brush gun, look at the Marlin 1985 45/70.
.........or .444 Marlin.

Jack
TYE

Post by TYE »

pphoenix wrote:that close a distances sound like you need a lever action with open sights, that what i would get. one of the guys i hunt during the rifle week up on 47, shot a winchester lever action on a 32 special, short little rifle, with some serious pop, and once you get used to shoting open sight you can reach quiet far.
I was previously thinking about a .308 lever actually. Right now I use peep sights on my semi-auto .30-06. My eyes have a hard time with them though.

I'm at my friend's house right now, we're headin' out to Accuracy Plus. He wants a crosssbow and I wanna see about a rifle.
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I agree with Stalker all my rifles are made by Sako and Tikka except for my Marlin 30-30. The 30-30 is the only one I have in lever action the rest are all bolt actions.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Tye, as my handle suggests, I am fond of the .45-70. With the Marlin Guide gun and some good handloads you will have more than enough gun for moose, bear or deer. I was getting 400gr Speers moving just shy of 1700 fps. That's some serious knockdown power. I was a little tender after a day at the range :shock: , but it was fun nonetheless.

These guns are handy, quick to the shoulder and a blast to shoot. I think I need to get another one.

If you want even more power from the same round, we're talking close to Elephant stopping power, consider a Ruger #1. I think I need to get one of those too. I need to feel the pain. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

This is my puppy:

Ruger Mark II compact in .308 Win, it's only 35 1/2" overall length, very lightweight to carry around all day in the bush, and some serious pop.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdRes ... type=Rifle

I should add that it has no sights so i added a 2.5-4 times scope, and that's all i need for hunting where i go, most shots will be at short distances.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Here is my H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70, sweet gun and priced right!! Jack.