Scope Reverse Recoil

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sevcrist

Scope Reverse Recoil

Post by Sevcrist »

I have read and heard from multiple sources that the reverse recoil from a crossbow will destroy a standard riflescope because they are not built for crossbow reverse recoil. Other sources have said that they have used standard rifle scopes with no problems.

So I decided to email customer service for Sightron and Burris and ask them. I'm sure some people will still disagree, but I'm going with the scope company statements. Below is what I asked and their responses.

For crossbows I have heard that they will ruin a rifle scope because the rifle scope is not designed for reverse recoil, which is what the crossbow does when fired.
Is this correct? And do you have any warranty issues with your scopes being used for crossbows?

A low quality scope will be affected by the reverse recoil of a spring gun or crossbow. All Burris scopes are built to withstand this and do work very well on crossbows.
Thank you,
Burris Company

Any of our scope can be used on a crossbow. Some of the cheaper scopes do have problems but the majors brands should all work on a crossbow.
Alan at Sightron
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

Good to know
chris4570

Re: Scope Reverse Recoil

Post by chris4570 »

Sevcrist wrote: Any of our scope can be used on a crossbow. Some of the cheaper scopes do have problems but the majors brands should all work on a crossbow.
Alan at Sightron
"should" is not the same as will so unless the company has offered such a bold statement as "Any of our scope can be used on a crossbow" I wouldn't use it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Thanks for the info
Darz Bór!
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I have had a Redfield tracker scope on 3 different crossbows since 1985. It is still mounted on my 165lb Exocet and is still dead on. I also have a Nikon camo scope on my Exocet 200. This is the second year with it and no problems. So I do believe what the scope manufactures have told you
Sevcrist.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
marmot

Re: Scope Reverse Recoil

Post by marmot »

Sevcrist wrote:I have read and heard from multiple sources that the reverse recoil from a crossbow will destroy a standard riflescope because they are not built for crossbow reverse recoil. Other sources have said that they have used standard rifle scopes with no problems.
Any scope that will survive on a 12fpe+ precision spring-piston air rifle from Europe will also survive on a crossbow. However, with that said, most sub $150.00 USD rifle scopes will not last a week on a spring-piston air rifle. If I were you, I would just purchase a crossbow scope.
Stash

Post by Stash »

The highest poundage crossbow generates about as much kinetic energy in the projectile as a .22 rifle. In terms of recoil, no crossbow comes close to the recoil of even a moderately-powered centerfire rifle.

You can use any rifle scope on a crossbow. Even the cheapest Chinese-made optics will hold up.