Tracking after the shot!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RyanB

Tracking after the shot!

Post by RyanB »

Hey all, just read a post about the percentage of Shots/Recovory's and am wondering if anyone has ever heard of dogs such as a Lab or Golden in aiding in tracking? I watched an old deer hunting vid (forget who's it was but was back in the early 90's) and they had a hunt on there where they used a Black Lab after loosing the blood trail...Dog took them right to the deer!

Anyone ever heard of it? I have a lab that loves the bush and unfortunatly I don't use him for water fowel so this might be an idea. I have yet to lose a deer and don't plan on it but I know it happens to everyone at some point!

Any info on this would be great. Diesel (my Lab) is a very fast learner and I think would be perfect for this!

Ryan
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You need to be cautious of hunting laws. Some jurisdictions prohibit having a dog in your company when big game hunting, and "hunting" might be defined as including tracking.

It makes sense, however, to apply the best means available to track down a wounded animal. A trained dog would be terrific for that purpose...if it were legal.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Yeah I had also thought about that. anyone in Ontario know of anything?
A.W

Post by A.W »

RyanB wrote:Yeah I had also thought about that. anyone in Ontario know of anything?
Depending on the area you hunt you can use dogs. I believe you need a licence though.

Yup. You do need a licence.

http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.as ... t_ID=20510
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
TYE

Post by TYE »

We don't usually use dogs. As stupid as it sounds, what we do is usually one or two of us walk through barking like dogs. :lol: We line up everyone and the "doggers" walks through bush and push the deer out to us. Best part is it works! And the "dogs" always come back, and push the deer the right direction. The dog we have up there sometimes, tends to chase the deer towards my dads cousins camp.

Using dogs to track down a wounded animal, is a pretty good idea though.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Im not sure but I think some of you are on the wrong track....this will have nothing to do with Hunting or Chassing of game...it would be soley for tracking. I have yet to ever loose a deer but have helped a guy I know track a slug hit buck that took us thru 2 conessions and landed up loosing it...this deer was hit durring the rut and had tons of blood...a tracking dog would have been nice and might of gave us a chance!
A.W

Post by A.W »

RyanB

Same thing. You need a licence if you're using a dog.

PAGE # 24

http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.as ... t_ID=20631
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I believe they are legal in Ohio, but there are regulations like they have to be on a leash, and can be used for tracking wounded deer only!
wabi
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've used my Lab twice to recover doe I've hit with a bow. Since hunting deer with dogs is not legal in my area, in both case I made a trip home and returned later unarmed with my dog.

Its amazing what a dogs' nose can see. I've used him twice. In both cases he found my dead deer instantly. He just walks right to them.

He has also found two other deer that other hunters have lost. He has a tendency to find the one that stinks badly first. :roll:
Tom

Post by Tom »

RyanB if your hunting in an area in Ontario that does not allow dogs for deer hunting then YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE A DOG EVEN IF JUST TRACKING A WOUNDED DEER ON A LEASH.

If your hunting in an area that does allow the use of dogs, then you must have a Dog Licence for the Dog.

I hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
dsr

Post by dsr »

Tom--- :twisted: If you had the wounded deer on a leash why would you need a tracking dog? :D :twisted:
Just joking with you of ciurse :P 8)
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

would like to see ya put that leash on first...LOL
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

All I can say for a new archery hunter is READ, READ, READ. Do your homework on tracking before you shoot one. Or hunt with an experienced hunter who has tracked before. Information is invaluable.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

jh45gun wrote:Do not see how walking in the woods with your dog would be a problem. LOL if you had no weapon and was walking along what could they prove or not prove. If I was in that situation I would walk my dog and if I found the deer I would take the dog back then go back and get the deer. You would think they would welcome any reasonable way to recover a wounded animal or one that has died but cannot be found.
That is a very good point! If this were to ever happen I would go and get the dog and come back without a bow/gun (just taking the dog for a walk) If a CO would ever have a problem with finding a lost deer by the means of using a dog on a leash I think you could probably fight that one if need be.

Now who know's if I will ever lose a deer...happens to everyone and if it does...I can tell you I will use every means possible to find the deer including taking my dog for a nice walk in the bush, on a leash of course!

RyanB
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Be careful when you go with a dog into the woods during hunting season..have dog wear orange and I would too..some shoot anything on 4 legs around here...got to be careful...Im training my lab to retrieve downed deer...with bloody ground venison from last year. I just drag it in a rag along through the woods then let my lab track it ..In the end she gets a reward of venison ground for her work..shes doing good...I hope i never have to use her but where i hunt its very thick and you could walk right by your deer in places and not even see it..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!