Ordered a TenPoint today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Ordered a TenPoint today

Post by wabi »

Scope, that is. One of the new Pro-View models with 3 crosshairs and a choice of red or green illuminated dots for the aiming points, too. You can use it without the illuminated dots like a regular scope or with the dots like a red-dot sight, and you can use red or green for the dots. Been thinking one would be nice (the advantages of both scope and red-dot type sights combined in one), but the price made me hold off on ordering one. I made the mistake of asking my local pro-shop what he could get me one for today. When he priced it about $25. cheaper than I've seen it elsewhere I went ahead and ordered it. If I like it I may have a TruGlo 3-dot sight for sale. :wink: The red-dot sights work well, but sometimes a little magnification comes in handy. Especially on aging eyes. :lol:
wabi
dodgetech

sweet

Post by dodgetech »

i wish the varizone scopes had there lines all the way across like that..horton has them and its so much nicer
wabi

Post by wabi »

dodgetech,
That is one big reason I don't use the vari-zone for hunting. It's not a fault of the scope (the vari-zone is top-quality), but a fault of my brain. :lol: I've shot scoped guns for close to 50 years now, and my brain automatically aligns the crosshair on the target. A deer at 30 yards gets shot under with the 20 yard crosshair on the "sweet spot". :wink:
And that's experience speaking. :oops:
With 3 dots (and I hope with 3 crosshairs) I have to slow down and think which aiming point to use since they all look the same! With the vari-zone I forget what the "chevrons" are for and use the crosshair. :oops:
wabi
dodgetech

afraid

Post by dodgetech »

im always thinking im going to shoot over the deers back when the cross hair on the varizone is on its back..not used to that..
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I agree with you guys I stated this earlier,but all replies said they liked sighting with the triangles.you cant please everybody.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

same here, I wish the vzone had the crosshairs also! I know when I shoot at the 3d target I tend to want to use the main crosshair now matter what yardage im at. Im just so use to doing that
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I'll be curious to see how you like it, Wabi. I've been using one on my Phoenix this summer. I got one for about the same reasons. I've found I don't really use the dots that much, though it's nice to have them. Now, if I could just quit playing around with these different bolt set-ups and pick one! Actually, I'm pretty much done playing around with them, and have concluded that it doesn't seem to make much difference, for my purposes anyway. I feel kind of silly, really, I could have have saved myself some dough! I probably won't be running out of bolts for awhile though!

Regards
Joe
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I too like the looks of it wabi. Maybe BillT will take this into consideration. I know what you mean about having to think about not using the crosshair on the varizone and moving down to the triangles.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Personally I like the Varizone's triangles. I find them simple to use and haven't a problem yet with mistakenly using the crosshairs when shooting other than 20yds. In fact I rarely use the crosshairs, since in the field or a 3D course, it's rare that a target will be exactly at 10 20 30 40 or 50 yards. Once I guesstimate the distance to the target, I use the triangles and crosshairs as guides only, aiming either higher or lower.

The Tenpoint looks nice, and the aiming principle is similiar to the Varizone, but personally I find its view too busy and cluttered with all those crosshairs. I suppose if one had to, one could get used to them.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
awshucks

scopes

Post by awshucks »

I've been in acouple of hunting situations where the Pro Scope w/ lit reticules would have made a difference in low light situatiuons. However, I'm sticking w/ my V-Zones. Knowing where to hold at all the ranges is more important to me than the few times the low light stuff comes into play. I range every shot, as my knees are gone, so I have to kill em quick and kill em dead, lol, can't go traipsing around looking for dinged deer. 34 yds? No problem, Half way between 30 and 40. 43 yds?? Sorry, that's a free ride from me, I don't go past 35 on deer. But, in all fairness, I can pop a rabbit at 50 or take a yote that far.
"Eze 18:21"
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

i have a max zone excalibur scope, and i have the first aiming point set at twenty and under, and the second point is good out to 35 yards. great scope---------STEEL
wabi

Post by wabi »

I think (hope :lol: ) the three crosshairs & dots will be similar to shooting the 3-dot red-dot sight I've been using. The 3-dot sight works well for my Phoenix, but a little magnification would also be nice at times. I don't seem to have the brain farts of forgetting which reticule to use for various ranges with all the reticules looking the same.
Never tried to say the vari-zone isn't a great sight, I'm just saying it's not for me. With only one crosshair, that's what I use under the stress & excitement of a hunting situation. The triangles work fine for other yardages, but I often forget they are even there when a deer is in view! :lol:
I've missed deer by using the crosshair at longer range, and also missed a deer by using the wrong triangle when I did remember to use them. (put the 40 yard point on a 31 yard deer and the arrow went over his back with the old Vixen) That shot was my first attempt beyond 20 yards and the old Vixen was only getting about 260 fps with the arrows I was using. It was also the old drop-zone scope and I watched the buck actually drop (string jump) a few inches before the arrow went just over his back.
The next miss was with a new Exocet (175#) and a new vari-zone. I tried a doe at 32 yards and used the crosshair instead of the 30 yard mark. I saw the arrow go under her, but it was so close I wasn't sure I'd missed completely. Found the arrow and there was no blood, then I went to where she had stood and there was no hair to indicate a hit. I followed the trail she took and never found anything to indicate a hit, so I called it a clean miss. One thing I did learn on that shot was that she did not react to the noise (jump the string) with the new bow and velocity at just over 300 fps.
Since then I've kept shots close to 20 yards and under, but it is comforting to know that I could reach out to around 30 without worrying too much about them jumping the string if I keep velocity close to 300 fps.
I have one promising stand this year in a very small food plot that has a decent buck visiting it. The route he takes across would mean the shot would be 20 to 25 yards and quartering away if I get it. I only get to hunt that plot about one or two evenings a week because I have to take my 6 year old along most days while my wife works, and if it's been raining the creek floods easily and the plot is in a "horseshoe" bend, so the chances are good a wounded deer would cross the creek. Trailing one across a flooded creek can get real interesting, and I don't need that challenge if I can avoid it. :roll:
Actually, a single reticule sight isn't too much of a disadvantage. With a leupold scope I had on the Phoenix sighted at 25 yards the close shots could be easily made with a little "hold under" and a 30 yard shot takes very little "hold over". I plan to sight the center crosshair/dot on the new scope for 25 yards and do most of my practice at that range. If I need to hold over or under the other crosshairs should be a good reference if I remember to use them, but if I forget the center one should still put the shot in the vitals at out to 30 yards.
Maybe I should write a new article for HBM - "crossbow sights for dummys" :lol: :lol:
wabi