Butchering your self...I have a few questions?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RyanB

Butchering your self...I have a few questions?

Post by RyanB »

A few weeks ago there where a few posts about people doing there own butchering. I have been thinking about this quite a bit and think I would like to try it but would like to be prepared befoer I get a deer. What all would be needed to do your own? tool wise I have pretty much all the knives and even a band saw that I am not scared to get a little dirty! How about all the wrapping paper?

Also, does anyone have a chart or anything saying about all the different cuts and how about to go about cutting up your deer?

Hopefully this might spark other peoples intrests also.

RyanB
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

hi Ryanb

here is a video that I got from ALLAN a forum member
it is a video on... how to butcher a deer?
here is the link thanks again Allan
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/video/deer ... h=C151C158

Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ryan freezer paper is a must or get a vaccumm sealer (food saver's are good). I use the vaccumm sealer and will not go back to freezer paper.
  • -butcher cord .... to tie up roasts
    -meat grinder ..... to grind up scrap meat for hamberg & sausage
    -Pork or beef fat to mix with the berg
    -knives and sharpener
    -meat saw and cleaver (bandsaw works :lol: )
    -vinager ..... to wipe down tables ect.
    -I use table cloths from the dollar store (disposable)
About cutting the meat up in the proper cuts, you can do that but it is not really necessary. For me personally, I debone all the meat and cut and tie most that I can into roasts. Butterfly cut the back loins into steaks. After getting the leg bones out, I just roll the meat up and tie into roasts, then cut to lenghts that I want (also have started to sprinkle with seasoning salt inside before rolling and tieing). All the meat that I can't get into roasts or steaks, gets ground up for hamberg. I just try to keep it simple and that is why I do it this way.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
AirForceVet

Post by AirForceVet »

link didn't work for me in either mozilla or IE. is there a trick? thanks.
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/wvromania/OCT06.jpg[/img]
A.W

Post by A.W »

I think they may have cancelled the access to the video. I did a search for it on the web and none of the links work. I posted this video before and now that link is dead.

If your Email can handle a 26.8 MB file I can Email it to you. You must be able to accept this size of file or it kind of screws things up.

P.M me your Email addy.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I use plastic freezer bags. Usually double them up to prevent freezer burn.

I cut my meat into the various roasts especially hindend. The roasts can cut to various sizes. You can turn them into steaks. This can be done prior to freezing or you can do it when you are ready to cook it. The backstraps get done into chops. The lower legs, neck, flank, brisket is set aside for stew meat or burger. I cut these into chunks and freeze. That way I can use them for either stew, chili, pasta or grind them for burgers. No need to grind them ahead of time.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I printed something last year from the "Indiana Sportsman" page. I can't remember the link now, maybe someone can help me out.

It was a post showing how to do it yourself, with all the cuts. I use fillet knives to cut all the meat off the bone. They get into the tight spots easily.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I agree bstout,

RyanB, where ya at???
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

hi to all

sorry for the link I guess it does not anymore

2 weeks ago I was showing a friend of mine and no problem

Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

For cutting the meat into cuts I prefer a simple fillet knife;sharpe,flexible and inexpensive.

The extra time to de-bone the leg will make excellent hind cut steaks.Just dig the knife tip in and follow the outline of the bone to seperate.Then hold the slab of meat tight and slice out your steak cuts.Helps to have a good chill on the meat but not icey,cuts alot more controled that way.

Run the meat through a grinder then if you want to add pork or beef suet run that through also then mix and run throught grinder together again.You'll have burger better than the market.I like 75% deer to 25% beef suet for the mix.Helps as the vensine is lean.I like the freezer bags for my packageing now amd make up some burger patties before freezing with the patty paper between for easy seperation.

Just take a quarter at a time and relax and it will work out fine :wink:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

On my site at HuntingIndiana we have forum called The Butcher Shop

http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com/i ... utchershop

Lots of great threads and links are there about processing game animals including this how to thread with pictures by one of the members that processes deer.

http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com/i ... 1130888702
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
widowman

Post by widowman »

Keep it simple. Have an idea of the types of cuts you would like before you start. On a single deer I like:

tenderloins whole and usually cooked within a day or two of the kill.

loins (backstrap) usually cut into steaks. I freeze them in long portions to be cut into steaks upon thawing. this will keep down on the suface area that can become prone to freezer burn.

shoulders are really a pain in the ass to do much with. there are alot of membranes, tendons and connective tissue. I like to slow cook these in a shallow baking dish untill the meat is falling of the bone. take that meat add BBQ sauce and you will be happy.

hindquarters I seperate into by pulling apart the individual muscles. Normally one whole hindquater gets ground and the other one gets used for roast or cubed for stew meat.

Cut as much scrap meat off of the neck as you can for the grinder.

After doing a few, it does not take long at all. I don't understand when I hear guys talk about spending 5-6 hours or more to butcher a deer. Keep your cuts larger which will not only save time up front but will give you more options when you are ready to use it.

By the way, stay away from the band saw. Not only is it not needed but with CWD becoming more common cutting through bones and/or the spinal cord make me uneasy.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I havn't done my own in quite a while but I would always wrap the meat in saran wrap first then freezer paper. Ziplock freezer bags would also work well or a vacume sealer. It depends on how long you plan to store the meat before it is all gone. I would double up on wraps if I don't think I will be eating the meat quickly. Make sure you have tape if using freezer paper, and a marker. I would always forget to get a marker and I hate not not knowing which deer the meat came from, what the cut is, and date it was shot.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

someone PM'ed me awhile back about what grinder we used and Im sorry for not replying at the time. If you are reading, its a Hobart one. Its not cheap though.

for wrapping our beef we always used the wax type freezer paper. But you have to make sure you wrap it TIGHT. If not, you could risk burning the meat. Sealers work fine also though!

we are gonna process deer for hunters for the hungry htis year and they want the T loins cut in chops since most people know what to do with a chop. The hinds would get cut in steaks and a few roasts. But it all depends on what you want. We are finding that more and more hunters want someone to process there deer for them and pay normally 45-60bucks to have to cut and wrapped. I personally couldnt chop up the T loins since I like mine in the long straps 8) :D