Follow the arrow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

timberwolf

Follow the arrow

Post by timberwolf »

I know if you watch the arrow when it launches it helps the accuracy, but I can't seem to keep track of it on a 25 yard shot, that darn exomax and varizone scope. :shock:

Should I be able to watch the arrow, my buddy has a phonex with a lower magnification scope and has no trouble keeping track of the arrow.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a Phoenix and it depends on the lighting and background color. Shot one into the ground the other night to unload after a hunt and had my flashlight held under the forearm pointing at the target - all I could see through the scope when I shot was the yellow vanes! :lol: (nailed the leaf I was aiming at, though :wink: )
wabi
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

I was told many years ago when still hunting my horzintal bow that follow thru and watching the arrow is very important...but I was also told that its not only watching the arrow....watch the place that you were aiming for.

I have tried doing that many times with the X-bow/scope because even with my 185lbs exomag I have a hard time watching the arrow and just keeping focused on the target spot really helps!

Just a hint of advice for you guys with fast bows!

Ryan
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

40-50 yards I find there is time to follow the arrow, but not up close.

Will give that watching the aim point idea a try, thanks.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

You can try brightly colored vanes or wraps.

I found that I can't see the arrow in flight, but by keeping my eye in the scope until the arrow hits the target it does improve the accuracy. I'm not jerking my head up to see where it hit and throwing the bow off.

Even if you can't see the flight path, it is a good habit to get into.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I don't think it is so much following the arrow but keeping a focus on where it is supposed to hit. I do this when I am shooting my best with rifles. It is kind of like following through when swinging a baseball bat or golf club or whatever. I also do this when shooting trap. If you keep your eye on where you are shooting it seems to help put the arrow, bullet, shot right there.

DrDan
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'm a flincher and have trouble following anything
I am trying very hard to cure this problem.
Very first time I shot a rifle with a scope it cut my eye and i have had a problem since then with shooting anything.
I think I will get a BB gun and start there and move up when I am ready.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thanks jh45gun
I figuered I needed to do something like that.
I also need to shoot more and be around shooting more.
My father is a combat wounded,decorated DDay Vetran,Army Ranger.
He says we need to go to the woods and have me shoulder the gun,close my eyes and let him be behind me and he pull the trigger so I can get used to being suprised at the shot and do that over and over untill I can open my eyes and do it some more.
Thats how they helped guys in the army and they were shooting at people.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I go through times of flinch - especially when I shooting 375 H&H or 416 Rigby or worse yet 300 Win Mag Damn that thing kicks! Anyhow I go back to good old 22 rifle and do some indoor range shooting at 50 feet. After a couple hours I am back to watching the hole form in the target after I pull the trigger. That's where it's at! Watch the arrow hit the deer, watch the bullet hit the target or the game. You can see it if you are concentrating on it and it seems to take away flinch if you are conce4ntrating on something other than a kick that you are gonna get. Crossbow is neat because there is no kick and no blast. You can comfortably pay attention to what you are doing.

DrDan
TYE

Post by TYE »

DrDan wrote:I go through times of flinch - especially when I shooting 375 H&H or 416 Rigby or worse yet 300 Win Mag Damn that thing kicks! Anyhow I go back to good old 22 rifle and do some indoor range shooting at 50 feet. After a couple hours I am back to watching the hole form in the target after I pull the trigger. That's where it's at! Watch the arrow hit the deer, watch the bullet hit the target or the game. You can see it if you are concentrating on it and it seems to take away flinch if you are conce4ntrating on something other than a kick that you are gonna get. Crossbow is neat because there is no kick and no blast. You can comfortably pay attention to what you are doing.

DrDan

Well put. :)
TYE

Post by TYE »

I also try to follow the arrow.