Lacquer Crest Durability

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Makomachine

Lacquer Crest Durability

Post by Makomachine »

I'm strongly considering giving some bolts a spray lacquer dress up but have some concerns about durability on the rail and arrow holder. I've crested arrows before and used wraps and it always seems to rub and wear, making the arrows not look so hot in short order. Anybody have an update on how their lacquer finish is holding up over the long haul with repeated target use?

Also, does the lacquer finish cause the arrow not to slide down the rail as easy?
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
wabi

Post by wabi »

I crest dip my arrows in laquer and it does eventually get some wear marks. By dipping the finish is actually a little heavier at the nock, so that wears first with the crossbow. As far as the arrow hold-down clip, I can't see any wear from it yet.
I just started dipping my crossbow shafts this year, so I haven't given them much use yet. Probably 50 or more shots on one shaft, and it still looks very good.
I tried wraps on my trad bow shafts, and they didn't stay good looking very long. Crest dipping is much more durable on them!
wabi
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

wabi - I'm thinking I'm going to try and do a "flame fade" that is limited to the areas that don't contact the rail or clip. That way I get the nice look and don't have to worry so much about wear. Not sure how they'll look compared to those that are completely around the entire shaft, but what the heck - this is all for fun anyway! I'll post some pics when I get around to it.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I get some wear and marks on mine. But I have them painted for in flight visibility and that is still there.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]