Land owners cut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sinclair

Land owners cut

Post by sinclair »

HI, I am a rookie new to crossbow hunting. I am in the process of getting landowners permission to hunt their land. I am very eager to get started and will be negotiating soon. What is a fair amount of meat for the property owner to request? With the money already invested in gear, buying tags butchering and most of all hours of time what is considered reasonable? I would appreciate your opinions.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Sinclair,
I've always found people are much more receptive to my summer sausage, sweet/hot italian sausage or PA Deer Bologna than a raw piece of meat. I usually offer a roll to sample and if they like it I bring them more. You can never be to generous to someone who lets you hunt their property.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

we dont want any but its nice to offer. Maybe ask them if they want any while you are getting permission

but most here only take a hindquarter to the landowners since its alot of meant right there.

I dont want any from people that hunt my land.. mainly cause the freezer always has meat in it from last year still lol
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm with Crazy on the meat sharing. I don't need any. Got plenty of my own! Rich has a good idea ... doubt I'd turn down some salami or sausage or jerky, just 'cause it's all so good.

But I'll tell you what I'd love to hear a hunter ask:

"CAN I HELP YOU DO ANYTHING AROUND THE PLACE?"

Offer a helping hands. Many landowners don't have anyone to help them with projects ... and who knows? You could help cut trails, prepare food plots, build blinds and stands ... maybe make a hunting buddy to boot.

Too many hunters are interested only in taking from a landowner's land; hardly any want to give anything back.

Give it a try.

Grizz
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Most people I know would not ever ask for part of your game or may even be to proud to ask for help with a project. With that being said, still offer. What will make a big impression of a land owner if permission is given is picking up any trash that you ever find on the property. When you treat someone elses land like your own or better than they would that is a big showing and goes a long way.
Why ride when you can walk!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I agree. Pick up any trash you find. If they don't want any of the meat. A Christmas card or a bottle of wine will be appreciated I'm sure. It doesn't have to be a large gift, just one to let them know that you are thankful for the hospitatilty that they have extended to you.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

We divide up the meat in our gang the # of guys hunting + 1, then we divide that extra share amongst the diferent landowners. One does not like deer, so we substitute moose. we also throw in a homemade bottle of wine. This year we kept a small doe which we smoked, had all the guys over for a 3d shoot, and invited the farmers and their wives. They truly enjoyed the experience.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

The tips about picking up trash are right on ... I HATE litter. I tell hunters to pick their cases and shells up, not to leave vienna sausage cans and cracker wrappers blowing around, to bury their mess when they take a dump, and to take their filters with them if they smoke.

Picky?

I don't care what they think. I HATE litter.

Not littering and picking up trash would sure go a long way with me.

Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I'm with Crazy on the meat sharing. I don't need any. Got plenty of my own! Rich has a good idea ... doubt I'd turn down some salami or sausage or jerky, just 'cause it's all so good.

Grizz
some jerky would do me over well lol. Something we wouldnt have to cook is a nice gift.

also just let hte landowner know whats going on on his land. Since most huhters are there more than the owner they see whats going on. I hunt one peice and kids keep riding ATV's in and out which they were told not to 2 times. I told him they usually come in around noon saturdays when he's not there so that helped him figure out what time to wait for them :twisted:

also, asking to help fix fences and getting involved in the land goes farther than anything I know of. Most hunters show up 2 days before season and are gone at the end of it, never seeing or hearing form them again. I try to keep in contact with the owners over the year on land I hunt that I dont farm or own
Adam

Post by Adam »

i always help my landowners out whenever i can and buy them each a bottle of whiskey at christmas time. one landowner i became very good friends with and he was into hunting as well. he always took me hunting with him and his buddies when theyd go for rabbits/waterfowl and we even did some turkey hunting together. this let me meet more ppl to hunt with since my dad doesnt hunt.
A.W

Post by A.W »

The owner of the 200 acres where I hunt and have my trailer is a buddy of mine.( used to be a client) He made me agent for the property and I can basically do what ever I want with it.

I have posted the property (not that that helps with yahoo's) and I am up there as often as possible. I keep an eye on it and let him know what's happening on a regular basis. Some idiot was dumping garbage ( construction waste) in a ravine on the S/W corner of the property and that was dealt with. I also advised him on a couple of legal issues that he did not know about.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.