question about deer and coyotes???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bucklandman

question about deer and coyotes???

Post by bucklandman »

Was setup and waiting for daylight this morning 6:20 after sitting about 1hr i spotted movement, got in the ready position and out comes a full grown coyote :x :x :x :x I wanted so bad to put a spitfire thru him but was not sure if i could or not,, about 30 later he or another one showed.

Seems there is more yotes this year in my area,,
I hunt a 60 acres chunk of land , do you guys think that coyotes will drive away the deer or not??? I did notice fewer tracks and have yet to see a scrape yet... any opinions??
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
hawg hunter

coyotes

Post by hawg hunter »

As rancher once told me if you see a coyte and you don't kill it don't tell me cause thats the last day you'll be on the ranch.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Kill it they will kill and scare deer out of your area!!!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

One spring turkey season I watched a coy-dog[coyote/dog mix] chase 4 does through my patch of woods.The deer were running figure 8's in an area about 50 yds. square each time cutting off the coy-dog from running a single deer.It was real fast action and I was sitting right in the middle of it.The action was so fast all I could do was swing my 3" 12 gauge from side to side and couldn't get a bead on the coy-dog.This happened for about 3 minutes and slowly each deer headed out and left the pursuer dazed.He scooted out of there in a direction different from which the deer went.
bucklandman

Post by bucklandman »

Made a decision from now on shoot and forget!!! :P :P
no need for them critters,!!!
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Don't let me see one with my ex or you'll have coyote shisk ca bob they don't call me va "pred" hunter for nothing. :lol: :lol:
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Open season year round on those critters. They are thick where I hunt too. Had one try and grab a decoy while I was turkey hunting in the spring. He got out of range before I got the gun on him.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I shot a good sized bitch tonight over a gut pile from my doe of the day before. If you want some good shooting hunt over the gut pile. I put it out about 6PM and had a song dog by 10:30 I got a Maglight mounted on my 10 ga Mag shotgun with a switch on the pistol grip. Use #4 Remington HeviShot which is deadly to 60 yards - sometimes a little more. LOL I traded a guy this 10 ga Browning goose gun for a Ruger Blackhawk awhile ago. I believe it is 34" barrel. I put in full choke and it works pretty good for at night. I went through years of not getting them after dark and this 10ga and HeviShot seem to be the answer. I use 220 Swift for morning hunts, but I actually prefer night hunts.

They can be pretty darn exciting sometimes.

DrDan
marmot

Re: question about deer and coyotes???

Post by marmot »

bucklandman wrote:Was setup and waiting for daylight this morning 6:20 after sitting about 1hr i spotted movement, got in the ready position and out comes a full grown coyote :x :x :x :x I wanted so bad to put a spitfire thru him but was not sure if i could or not,, about 30 later he or another one showed.

Seems there is more yotes this year in my area,,
I hunt a 60 acres chunk of land , do you guys think that coyotes will drive away the deer or not??? I did notice fewer tracks and have yet to see a scrape yet... any opinions??
IMHO, the only good coyote is a dead coyote. I killed one on the back of my property over the summer. This one was killing pets, and was bold enough to steal a lamb from my neighbor's electrified sheep pen.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I believe that everything has it's place in this world. But, if the coyotes are becoming over populated or killing livestock, they got to go. I have seen an increase in the coyote population where we hunt this year and I will not hesitate to take one out if given the oppertunity. The deer seem to be doing fine, but the small game is taking a S?$T Kicking from the yotes. I have seen one rabbit in three years of hunting this property.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Well I have seen both cases. I know in the spring when the Deer are with there young, the Deer are very wary of the Yotes. Later in the year, when the young are grown more, I have witnessed Yotes out in the field mousing not more than 50 yards from Deer and they just give them an occasional glance. My friend has a 400 acre Dairy and it is overrun with Deer and Yotes both. The Yotes only go after Sickly [hit by a vehicle] or wounded Deer not recovered from his observations. I would not dout they get some newborns though.
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

They do kill deer, no doubt, but I think the deer don't move out just because coyotes are about, one of my stands is only 100 yards from a den, and the deer walk right past it. Amazing, I can smell the den from 50 feet would think a deer would smell it from a half mile.

Coyotes have wiped the rabits out since they moved in. 10 years ago they were eastern red wolves (real wolves), I was ok with that, now they are mixed, cross bread mangy muts!
deerman

Post by deerman »

This is why I dont and you shouldnt gut deer in your hunting woods.Once a coyotte gets a free gutpile meal he will return there every day to see if there is a free meal.They also kill a lot of fawns in the spring,so we must kill a lot of them this winter!!! :D
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

They are in the place I hunt, and there have been reports of them on the outskirts of D.C. too! I thought they wouldn't be a problem but we have seen them chasing full size healthy deer around our area. The road into my favorite hunting area is covered in coyote scat which is all loaded with deer hair. They are almost impossible to find. I have seen one so far and I missed it :oops:. I have noticed this year that there seems to be only about one fawn for every four does I see which is very uncommon (used to be 1 or 2 fawns for every doe). The deer kill has fallen every year for atleast the last three years in a row. Three years ago it was around 1100 and last year it was around 800. I am attributing this to the coyotes and bad management practices. Some idiot decided they needed to open the season for does every Saturday of the entire season as well as the last two weeks last year. It is completely different now and very depressing. I went from seeing about 15 a day to 5. The deer are so thin that I am affraid to shoot a doe. I will shoot every coyote I see though. I am even planning on getting calls and trying to learn how to hunt them specificaly.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
deerman

Post by deerman »

Shooting coyotes is a good way to extend your hunting season after deer season is over.We hunt them up to when Turkey season starts.This sharpens your shooting skills and gets you out of the house in mid-winter. :lol: