It sucks to miss!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

It sucks to miss!!

Post by terry-1 »

Well I have been hunting hard a gaint buck I have seen a few times this earyfall and last evening he came in with two other big bucks. It was a great sight to see 3 big bucks at once something I have only seen a few times over 20+ years of hunting. I watched for what seemed like a Hour while he rubbed some bushes and sparred with eachother before the gaint 10 pt gave me a 35 yard broadsideshot which I took on spot with my Exocet. I my heart dropped when knew I had hit some low hanging limbs on a tree and the arrow sailed off several feet high over the bucks back. It sure hurts to miss the biggest buck I ever fired at in 20+ years of hunting and I have taken some nice bucks in the past inclueing a 140"+ 10pt this season already, but this one was one of those once and a lifetime sized bucks you just don't get many if any chances at in a lifetime of hunting. I sure hope he does not freak out after the shot and leave the area. I hope he doesn't have a clue of what happened and gives me a second chance. This was my first miss at a buck since buying my Exocet about 5 years ago and it turns out to be a horriable miss!
Last edited by terry-1 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WMU-92-SS

Post by WMU-92-SS »

I sucks?
A.W

Post by A.W »

WMU-92-SS wrote:I sucks?
Looks like a "TyPe-'O' " to me.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

He must of missed that too.

It does suck just the same.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

It's good to see others admit it also. When I miss a big boy I can't get it out of my head for weeks. But it dose make me more attentive to my surrounding for the rest of the season.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just be thankful you didn't wound him and loose him!
You may get another chance, but even if you don't you'll know he's still around to pass on his genes.
And the biggest buck I ever saw had my arrow pass just under his chest after it hit a small branch I didn't notice. Seems like big bucks can make you forget the basics real quick! :wink: :lol:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the 7pt I shot last year which was my biggest I hit a branch about 10ft form the stand. The deer was 55yards away and I dropped him in his tracks. I started looking for the muzzleloader hole and couldnt find one on his chest :?: Then I found the hole right behind his ears. Talk about LUCK! My shot was off by a good 18inchs, but his head happened to be in the perfect spot(which was right behind a doe's rearend).

my bad shot ended up being good lol.. sorry to hear it didnt work out in your case. BTW, mine scored 153 on the Va system and is my biggest and really only B&C buck

ya'll have some HUGE thick antler bucks out there, im sure another's gonan walk by and this time you wont miss. If you get one, post a pic cause I love seeing those Gaints out west!
saxman

Post by saxman »

They make me get what I call "ALL BOBALATED"
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Allan

Post by Allan »

I missed a 40 yard shot with a slug, because I was shaking too much.
I hummed to stop the buck from walking out of the shooting lane, aimed, fired and the snow below him flew. He just walked away.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:( Sorry you missed that nice one, maybe you will get another chance.
Question, If you have the choice, shouldn't you shoot over a limb than under it ? I know with shooting a compound that when shooting under a limb, the limb draws the arrow in like a magnet. With the Xbow and shorter bolt and probably better trajectory you may get away with it, but you better shoot over every limb if shooting 30 yards or more. I know there's a scale on here about bolt drop, but shouldn't we be aware of bolt rise if holding on 30 ysd or more ?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It happens. Sounds like you may have rushed the shot a bit in all the excitement. Hard to keep your cool when you see a monster. It could have been worse. He is alive for a crack at him another day.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!