Any squirrel recipes???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Post by A.W »

John. If your youngest Isn't there. What's your address? I can't be far from you. :wink: :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

huntertroyjack...it sounds like you eat a lot of squirrel!?
Skeeter

It's not the aptitude but the attitude that determines the altitude!
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

I always soak squirrl in a mixture of one tablespoon of pickling/canning salt, one teaspoon of baking soda, to one gallon of cold water. Let soak overnight in refrigerator. In all the below recipes, use your seasoning and salt/pepper to your taste. I use Mrs Dash original blend seasong blend, rubbed sage, and my home dryed cayenne pepper coase ground.

Cook squirrels in a crock pot or heavy pot on stove top. Simmer, not heavy boil until meat starts to fall off the bone. Pour the contents of the pot through a strainer into anything large enough to catch all the liquid. Put the liquid back into the crock or heavy pot. Remove all the meat from the bone and put it back into the pot with the liquid. Bring it all back to a simmer. Add a can of condensed milk(more or less to taste) to the pot to make gravy. Use flower or cornstartch to thicken as you desire.

Make biscuits from Martha White self rising flower, regular buttermilk, and Armour brand pure lard. Cut lard into flour until it is all like sand. Add buttermilk to make a soft dough. DO NOT mix any more than necessary and do not knead. Spoon dough into buttered pan and bake at 425 until golden brown on top.

Open buscuits on plate, cover with Land O Lakes buter. Dip squirrel and gavy onto biscuits.

Naturally, you could use low fat, low cholesterol, and lower carb ingredients.

You can also cook the squirrel until meat falls from bone. Take the meat and mix in a can of cream of mushroom soup. Get a bag of stuffing mix and make according to instructions on bag. In a casserole dish, put a layer of the stuffing, the squirrel meat and mushroom soup mix, then cover with another layer of stuffing. Bake in oven at 350 until squirrel mix begins to bubble up on the top layer of stufing. This is also great at camp in a dutch oven.

Take the squirrel as cleaned, do not cut up. Put in a pot and boil to tenderize. Remove from pot and fill cavity with a home made stuffing mix as follows:
crumbled up thin baked buttermilk cornbread
celery hearts/chopped
vidalia onion or Texas sweet onion/chopped
boiled chestnuts/crumbled
sage as you desire
coarse ground black pepper
To these dry ingredients, add chicken broth to make a very dry stuffing mix. Stuff squirrel cavity, as much as it will hold. Place squirrel in closed roaster and place in oven at 325. Let bake for 30-40 minutes. use the same side dishes you would if it were a chicken.

These are 3 of my favorites. Needless to say, I like squirrel.
I never was as good as I used to be.