big buck kill in Va

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

big buck kill in Va

Post by crazyfarmer »

a good friend took this HUGE buck yesterday with a compound bow... Its one of the biggest ive seen, espically with a bow. I sure its gonna be the top bow kill in my county also. The deer had 19pt's, but only 13-14 that will score. Its a typical 8 though...

now you know why to let the lil ones walk.. the guy passes up anything smaller than 20inches all the time :D
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Great buck.

You gotta have a good deal of over 20" bucks to pass up the "small ones". Private farmland is a little different than hunting public land. The spots I have hunted get tons of pressure for deer, small game, dog walkers, and nature lovers. The older deer that don't want to be bothered simply leave the area. I will too once I get a bit older and wiser :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Rich

Post by Rich »

CF,

If that was a Gloucester deer I would have had to let it walk till it got a little bigger.........yeah right. Tell your buddy CONGRATS. I originally grew up in PA and they find it hard to believe the big bucks VA is capable of producing. We may have smaller bodied deer here, but can grow some monsterous rack. Go out and get his grand daddy now.

Rich
TYE

Post by TYE »

Holy shnikes!
JeffOwens

Post by JeffOwens »

I myself hunt for meat and not racks, so I don't mind the small rack bucks, or does one bit, but that is a very nice looking buck.
Rich

Post by Rich »

CF,

What Taxidermist is he using, Norm's in Gloucester is one of the best around.

Rich
Digger

Post by Digger »

That's a nice rack, good shooting.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:CF,

What Taxidermist is he using, Norm's in Gloucester is one of the best around.

Rich
Probably James Braswell up here.. he did mine last year and a few for my buddies and the detai lwork was simply awesome. I had been getting another guy to do mine but his work over the past 3 years went downhill badly so i switched to this guy last year and was blown away! It takes him a little while, but the return is worth it!

Jeff, i know.. but its plenty doe out there that you dont have to shoot a spike when it walks by;) I'd eat a doe anyday over a buck. To each his own though:)

ecoaster, its hard to believe this but that land is hunted by our hunt club everyyear also. But its alot of marsh area there and well, you can get the truly wise old timers out of that.. This was probably one of his very few mistakes he's made. I'd say he was roughly 5.5-6 years of age
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Thats a crazy looking old buck! Very nice, your friend must be proud. Looks like you have some prime hunting land out there. Congratulations to him, and you as well for such great management practices. I wish the people out my way could see things the same. I also agree that meat hunters should shoot does. We don't get buck tags here, we get either sex tags so to be honest I feel there is no excuse for shooting a small buck except for being too impatient, lazy, or bored to wait a little longer for a doe and wanting to go home and warm up or watch tv. I can understand new hunters doing it or someone who is starving and poor but thats about it.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

LV2HNT wrote:Thats a crazy looking old buck! Very nice, your friend must be proud. Looks like you have some prime hunting land out there. Congratulations to him, and you as well for such great management practices. I wish the people out my way could see things the same. I also agree that meat hunters should shoot does. We don't get buck tags here, we get either spam tags so to be honest I feel there is no excuse for shooting a small buck except for being too impatient, lazy, or bored to wait a little longer for a doe and wanting to go home and warm up or watch tv. I can understand new hunters doing it or someone who is starving and poor but thats about it.
heard that... most say, you cant eat horns.. true, but I'd rather eat a doe than a buck anyday;) Im pretty sure everyone out there hopes to kill a wall hanger also. Let a lil one walk, kill a big one tomorrow is my motto;)

im guessing this bruiser is gonna score 178-185ish and should be a Va record for this year anyway with the bow..
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Beauty buck alright, that buck will make good sausage.

Grey Owl