More duck snacks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

More duck snacks

Post by ecoaster »

Went out this morning to check on one of my stands. I hadn't been there in a while and was surprised to see what all the rain had done. I normally have to leave the canoe about 80 yards from the stand. Not today :lol: . Paddled right up to it.

Views from the stand.

Laid down some corn on a few high spots and headed down the creek in search of ducks. Man it's hard to paddle the canoe and then shoot once the birds flush. Manged to down a couple.

Is the one on the left a black duck? A female mallard has white on the top and bottom of the blue (wings) right??? I looked at dozens of pics on the net and can only really see that difference beteen the two.

I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Ecoaster!

I'm glad to see that someone else touches off a round once in a while! I like all kinds of hunting, with all kinds of weapons.

Is that a Winchester 1300 I see?

Nice ducks, and nice shooting!

Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Grizz, that's my baby. It is a model 1300. Had it since I was 16. First gun I ever bought and I have not had to replace anything on it so far.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've got a 1300 too. Ranger model ... bought it at Walmart 11 years ago. It's been a tough gun ... and it's one SLICK pumping trombone action shotgun. Does yours open up halfway when you shoot? They were designed to. That rotary bolt system is beautiful. Simple and effective and durable.

Sadly, I believe they've discontinued the 1300, if I'm not mistaken. A pity.

Let others tote and tout their 870's. I like my Winchester shotgun.

Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It does open half way. Sometimes almost spits the shell out if you don't have a firm grip :lol: . It's a bit heavy and big for a bush gun so I have a 20 guage for upland hunting. The 1300 is my duck, goose, and turkey gun.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice view from your fishing stand. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks like the ducks kept you occupied, though. - good shootin'!
wabi
Adam

Post by Adam »

i thought it was a 1300 as well. its the gun i shot my first deer with at 15. im now 3 years older and much wiser and thats why i carry an 870 :lol: the 1300 is and excellent gun, i just dont have one.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Adam ...

My name's Adam too! Used to be it was a name you didn't hear much.

Grizzly is my grade-school nickname given me by my friends many moons ago (around 30). Grizzly Adams was my favorite TV show when I was a kid, so people got to calling me "Grizzly Adam" ... and as I grew up, I turned out to be about the size of one ... although my temperament is better, I hope. I try to be a gentle bear.

Grizz
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

wabi wrote:Nice view from your fishing stand. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks like the ducks kept you occupied, though. - good shootin'!
fishing stand, that was a good one.

Nice shooting ecoaster right out of the canoe.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Check out this link for duck id.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/bird ... /index.htm

If there was no white bordering the speculum(sp) then it was a black duck. Look at the underside of the wing, there should be a white patch, indicative of a black duck. I believe there is also a couple of other subtle differences. The bill, and the feet. Specifically I cannot remember what is characteristic of the black or the mallard.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

It maybe a a black duck Ecoaster but it seems to light brown which leads me to belive it is a black/mallard mix. The easiest way to tell are the wing markings. Mallards have black and white on the top and bottom of the speculum. A black duck has only black above and below the speculum. If it is a mix it may show a little of both duck characteristics. Since I can only see the top of the speculum in the picture I do know that it is not a pure mallard hen. Hope this helps you to solve your mystery duck.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It did not have any white on the speculum. I posted the pics on The Ontario Hunting Lodge Waterfowl forum and they confirmed that is a black. I was pretty sure, but they are so close in appearance.

It was a little tricky to paddle and shoot. With the water so high the current was moving me along pretty good so I could keep one hand on the gun.

Would be easier to have a trigger man (Chris???) in the front and the guy in back(me :D ) paddling. Chris and I have a few tags left to fill before we can start making duck outings :lol: .
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

looks like you had a great time E.....stay dry..Im waitin on duck season ....Im ready to go..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

ecoaster wrote:Would be easier to have a trigger man (Chris???) in the front and the guy in back(me :D ) paddling. Chris and I have a few tags left to fill before we can start making duck outings :lol: .
No problem. But it's this thing they call work :D ! Let's see what happens in the next week with the deer.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"