serving on FFF finally broke

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

serving on FFF finally broke

Post by crazyfarmer »

after about 250shots im guessing... I noticed it was starting to get bad and yesterday it finally broke(just the serving). That sukked since I had to put my other FFF backup on and reshoot that about 20times to get it somewhat broken in. Shoots were off about 2inches and stil are iffy since its stretching still. Watch Mr bog horns walk out about 30 yards in the next few days and I pull a off shot due to the string on him LOL

how much do most shops charge to fix just the serving?
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

This is something that is relatively easy to do yourself. Believe me, if I can learn how, anyone can. I'm the type of guy who can't hit a nail straight, so that should tell you something. All you need is a serving bobbin(about $10 or less) and a spool of serving thread(I believe crossbow serving is .036). There are some good primers on the internet that will show you how to do this, perhaps someone on here can give you the links. I first untwist the string then put it back on the limbs, then take the limbs off and put the foot stirrup in a vise. I usually serve an inch or two longer than what comes on the string(excel string). When you are finished and twist your string back up to get proper brace heighth, twist it in the direction so that it will tighten up the serving even more. This usually lasts me a good long while. I figure the spool of serving thread I bought will probably last me for years. It takes a few tries, but you're probably more than capable of achieving good results.

HOpe this helps
Joe
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I had a string break after about 125 shots. Didn't show any signs of wear and broke under the serving about where the cocking aid hooks on.

Anyway, I got couple of strings from this guy . . .

http://www.richmondsportinggoods.com/Ex ... ssbows.htm

He said if the serving ever wore out or broke, then mail the string back to him and he would re-serve it for free.

I also got a pack of slick tricks from him.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Thank you for that hyperlink, I'm about ready to purchase my first crossbow, and that helped. I do have some question about strings, which is the best to get for the max? How many spares do folks keep on hand? Thanks for any help for the FNG!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Big Al wrote:How many spares do folks keep on hand? Thanks for any help for the FNG!
I, like most people, usually have one string on the bow and one in my pack.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

I have developed the nasty habit of only takeing spine shoulder shots over my 50+ years of hunting and was hoping that the Max would be the ticket for cutting/breaking shoulder spine on these caribou out to 30 yards. You know we have this 5 mile either side of the haul road to hunt archery only and I'm all for not having to walk 5 miles just to be legal with a rifle.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Welcome Big Al . . . .I usually only keep one extra string because they should last a very long time. I bought two strings because I liked the price, most places wanted double that.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

I've put a call in to them I'm waiting for a call back now, seems the dude that does in internet stuff was not in the store yet. Thank you for the link and the heads up.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thats why I got 2 FFF's and I have 3 excels on hand, but its about 3-4inches difference in shots between those 2 strings also..

Whatever you shoot, get 2 of them since if not I would be in a jam right now with one week left of bow season here LOL

Joe, thanks for the info.. ill probably give mine a try this winter when im bored. Hopefully this other one lasts a week LOL.

BTW, i know some sand their trigger and rope cockers down so it doesnt cut the string. Mine didnt have any burs or rough shapr edges. Mine broke from the rope cocker since when you draw it back, the inside of the hooks has alot of pressure on it. Thats where the serving broke
Rich

Post by Rich »

Are Richmond's string custom made?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rich wrote:Are Richmond's string custom made?
I'm not sure, but I think so . . .is there something I need to lookout for?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen