I know this isn't crossbow related but...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

Well I went to Accuracy Plus yesterday and my friend picked up a used Excalibur Paradox. We came back to my house and sighted it in for him, and shot my Phoenix along with him. Man is that Paradox ever powerfull! I was so mad when I walked into the store and seen the Paradox. I wish I had the money, I would have bought it for myself right then and there. I want one soo bad!

I asked them how much a slug shotgun would run me and Jeff told me it would cost me around $400 for a Remington. Less for a good used one.

I have a question though. With a rifled barrel of a slug gun, can you still use shot shells?
Last edited by TYE on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Nice rifle Exocet. :)
deerman

Post by deerman »

The answer is no Tye.You will need a smooth bore barrel.You can only shoot sabot's in a rifled shotgun barrel.
TYE

Post by TYE »

deerman wrote:The answer is no Tye.You will need a smooth bore barrel.You can only shoot sabot's in a rifled shotgun barrel.
Hmm...dang. Cuz I kinda wanna get a shotgun, for deer/moose hunting, but I MIGHT get to do some goose or duck hunting. I can't make up my mind what I wanna buy :? :lol:
the elf

Post by the elf »

Tye you can get a smoothbore barrel built for choke tubes-----and just buy the extra long rifled tube for your shotgun------it works with sabots.------ELF : :D :D :D
marmot

Post by marmot »

Here is a picture of my Marlin 336C 30/30 sporting a Burris Fullfield II 1.75-5x20mm scope:

Xman

Remington 710

Post by Xman »

Tye:
I zeroed one for a friend this summer, this is probably one of the best out of the box rifles I had in my hands in a long time. Was skeptical at first, but after shooting it Tye, you won't find a more accurate rifle out of the box, bar none. This was in .270 cal. I zero around 75-90 rifles each fall before the season starts for customers.
Xman
chessy

Post by chessy »

TYE here is your option ...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... geNumber=2

this mossberg combo will do all you need... they do not have any instock but are giving out rain checks... mossberg is a very good shot gun .. i have 3 of them ... i have never broke one yet .. i just bought my 12 year old daughter a new 20 gauge combo youth
http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... n=products

it comes with a rifled slug barrel and smoth bore.. the recivers are drilled and tapped.. for scople.... awsome gun ..... by the way long guns in in bewdley just south of you .. he has lots of guns.... he is a little hard headed .. he hates seeing people buy junk....just tell him jason sent you... he will show you the remington guns (that he has for warrentee work.....) we spent 2 hours figureing one out....they are junk...run away from them .... if you want to shoot one .. i have the 835 500 and the youth model.. sorry for rambeling ... but the 20 guauge slug will take a moose down at a 100 yard... deer no problem ... hope i give you a little help :?: :?: :?:
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Since we are all putting in our 2 cents worth I'll add mine. Tye start saving your money. With alot of things you get what you pay for. I love the Browning BAR with BOSS system. Probably twice what you are looking to pay, but I believe worth it. It took me about two years to come up with the dough to get mine when I wasn't much older than you. As far as accuracy goes I'll put my BAR up against most any bolt action. And being a very reliable semi auto, a great brush gun. Whith what game you are talking about hunting the smallest caliber I would go would be the 30-06. With a wide variety of ammo to choose from you can find a load to meet whatever need. I use mine from deer to elk and love it.
Why ride when you can walk!
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

As long as you never hunt where the game eats back, push feed is ok. I think I even own one(somewhere). If you ever want to hunt where they eat back I suggest you own only a controlled feed, aka claw extractor Mauser type action. Get a 30-06 use Woodleigh 180 grain bullets and kill 99% percent of the game that walks the earth with no fear. I live but a few miles from a Glacier and we have a lot of grizzles here and I would not carry anything that does not insure positive feed and extraction.
Hunter Dan

Post by Hunter Dan »

Hey Tye, i have a Model 710 in a .270, and have no problems with it. The recall was on the early model 710. And like Xman said, it is very easy to sight in. you can get one here http://www.shooterschoice.com/remington/remington.htm .that is where i got mine. $445.00 with scope.