Scent control (or not)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Al

Re: Scent control (or not)

Post by Big Al »

TPM wrote:What kind of scent controls do you guys practice (if any). I always give my wife a hard time (joke of course) as I think she's a bit obsessive. Typically she'll wash all her clothes in a scent free detergent and then leave them hanging outside for at least a day before she hunts. She then bags them all in plastic and changes into them when she gets to the farm she hunts. Before she heads out she showers with scent free soap and dries off with a towel washed in scent free detergent.
Me? I do the washing my clothes in scent free detergent but that's about it.
What do folks do about the air they expelled from there lungs? I never hear anyone address this issue. Wind controller? They wind you, "the jig is up"!
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

I never hunt the wind....thats the chance I take....$0.00
Wash with a bar of "BABYS OWN" soap......$2.50
Wash My Hunting gear twice a season with one bottle of SPORT WASH..$5.00
Purchaced a Sent Lok suit 3 yrs ago.....$175.00
Getting Close (20-30 yrds) to deer consistently..........$PRICELESS$ :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've never used any of that stuff.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I use scent free soap and deodarent and wash my clothes in scent free detergent. Honestly, can't say it means much most of the time, but I consider it extra insurance. Example: was in a hurry last Saturday morning getting to my hunting spot in time and left the house in my camo. Got gas and McD's that morning on the way there - probably blowing the benefit of all those extra steps. Managed to have this one walk 5 feet in front of me while sitting on the ground against a tree without being spotted - the key? Probably wasn't the camo or the scent free everything. 1) Staying perfectly still 2)Playing that wind baby - especially in Oklahoma where a calm day is gusty...

Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

good job MackoMachine.....yep Oklahoma is gusty for sure....

some deer are just stupid they may smell you and just come wlakin in to investigate...but in all logical situations there is no way unless you zip your self into a large zip lock bag that you are not going to put off some kind of foriegn odor to the deer..

Nature is our best and worst friend when it comes to hunting deer..wind carries are scent away or swirls and gets us busted..the noise the wind makes camos are noise when we sneek to our stands...without it the deer can hear us along way off...the rain gets us wet and cold but washes our scent away and makes the forest ground wet and silent. the fog hides us ect...and on and on..Always try to use nature gifts to get close as you can and thats your number one friend and is and has always been a part of hunting..to ignore these things is not useing all the FREE tools in your hunting box....I use to buy scent lock and carbon crap and boy I was sensitive because i spent alot of money on it and i didnt want to be told i was wasting my money..I became lazy and didnt play the wind. I would hunt stands that i shouldnt..I got busted and educated...now I play the wind its a better investment and last forever...It makes you tune in if you will to what really works and what doesnt :lol:

I watched a hour show on scent away stuff and at the end the guy said what about our weapons we clean and lube..the guys answer was wipe them down good...come on is that all he had..what a fckn joke...deer smell the most minut substances...my humble opinoin.. :lol:

Oh and i do kill deer every year...Infact this year 1 deer 2 yotes...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

I say not I wash my hunting clothes in scent free / no uv laundry detergent but I do that because is doesn't make whites whiter colors brighter not because of the scent free. I use the wind because don't think you can be scent free.
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Looks like most of us feel that using the wind to our advanatge is the most important factor in scent control. I also think doing what ever it takes to give you the confidence to sit on the stand knowing you've got a good chance of geting into bow range of a deer without being busted is just as important. Speaking for myself I know that if i'm not confident in my location or the situation i'm hunting in then it's pretty much a waste of my time. For me wearing clean camo and showering before I leave for the hunt is enough. For others that may mean wearing scent lock suits, bathing in baking soda or what it is that gives you the confidence to sit for hours on end waiting for that chance of a lifetime.