knifes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dakotart

Post by dakotart »

I picked up one of these this year.
I have only used it on 1 deer and it worked well.

the saw sits inside the handle, and with the press of a lever you can rotate it around.

Here is a link to the website which has more information on it.

http://sogknives.com/hrevolver.htm
TYE

Post by TYE »

Now that is pretty neat!
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Big Al ...

We have over 50 deer per square mile right here where I live ... but we're running a little short on moose, elk, and caribou. Got 700+ pound black bears, but our deer aren't too big, far as whitetails go. A mature buck would average 125 pounds, and a doe around 90. Some get bigger, if they live more than three years.

I don't cut a bone on deer, period. I hunt on my own farm, and I don't (typically) have to do anything in the field except drag 'em to the truck ... and in rifle season, I try to eliminate the drag! I bone 'em out on the gambrel and leave nothing but a denuded skeleton hanging there.

Many deer I kill are hanging on a hoist within a half hour of death, and are butchered and dumped within the next hour. You develop a certain efficiency in processing over the years. Once the boned meat is safely in the fridge, my wife and I work together in converting it into various venison delights. It's the good life!

Grizz
I did not know they have the Internet in heaven. Well I do envy you. I always wanted it that easy myself. I once had a plan to use a fishing rod to catch moose in the mouth and drag them back to the truck, just never could get them to take. Once I got an old cow to come in the garage with mountain laurel for bait, she just did not like the garage door closing on her and didn't do the garage much good before I had to let her out. Hard to get a shot off inside a garage with a rampaging cow moose is going for your toys. Once I did get a blacktail to come in on a pancake, now that had to be some of the best Swiss steak I've ever had. The only downside was the park officials heard the shot and we barely got out with our hair. Keep that meat locker full Grizz ( I bet it's faster to cut and wrap when you can use somthing other than a flashlight)! Big Al
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Big Al ...

And just think ... we've got East NC barbecue, hush puppies, and collard greens, too.

Never mind the shrimp, oysters, and blue crabs.

You're right. We are blessed.

Grizz
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

My votes is for the russell Belt knife. Simple and holds an edge like no other. Might just be the Excaliber of hunting knives. Once you own one you just can't justify bringing anything else into the bush.
Orion

Post by Orion »

I have a SOG seal pup and it is as sharp as the day I bought it, and they have a heck of a waranty on them. (Im retired from the Navy and some Navy Seal friends of mine say the are issued SOG knifes, so thats why I got mine figured if they depend on them and like them its good for me.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Any good drop point will do. I'm the odd guy out here in that I hate gut hooks. Great for cutting the deer open but an absolute pain in the hind end while working inside an animal especially larger ones like moose. Those hooks are always getting caught on something and doing damage. Used one once and never again.
I think a great knife for the money is a Buck Vangaurd.
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/219/222
leonk

Post by leonk »

Grizzly Adam,

Would you mind picking your knives' models here
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/ ... ctkit.html
CRASHCOSBO

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

I have a Camillus Buckmaster knife that my girlfriend got me for xmas last year...used it for the first time lastnight and I was amazed at how nice the guthook worked...and its sooooo much lighter to carry than my old fixedblade buck knife...and I find the rubber handle on the new one is much easier to hang on to when you are up to you elbows in blood..doesnt slip in ur hand as badly..
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness"
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

picked up a buck omni hunter 10 pt. at basspro in to 50 bucks,used it several times already great knife.fits your hand well and you always were the tip is when you are cutting high in the chest cavity.its har to beat a BUCK.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Here are my grandfathers Buck knives and my hunting knife. The Buck knives in the double case are old, maybe the 40's or 50's but I'm not sure. I've been told they are rare and worth some money so I never use them. My grandfather told me the little blade was to remove the tarsal glands only, and the large blade did the rest. It has a nice drop point on it.
My knife was a gift from my dad, and is an "Edgebrand", Soligen, Germany. It works for me.

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Leon ...

On that site, the numbers are:

VN40536
VN40511
VN40515

Those are, respectively:

6" skinner
6" straight boner (stiff)
6" flexible boner/fillet

Those three will do about anything you need them to.

A big ol' parting knife is handy to have to, but not necessary.

Grizz
leonk

Post by leonk »

Thanks, Grizzly Adam,

what do you do with flexible boner, things like ribs?

I used to grow, slaughter and butcher pigs many many moons ago,
I haven't done that many deer, but they're pretty close...

I prefer to split pelvic bones, but agree with you it's not neccesary to gut,
I usually just split the belly to the sternum and cut everything out
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use a Muela,made in Spain
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

Had to decide which one to post :lol:
This one is a fairly new addition, but it has field dressed a couple deer.
What I really like is that I can open & close it with one hand - beats sticking the blade in the ground when you're elbow deep in deer innerds :lol:
Buck Alpha Hunter - folder
wabi