First Crossbow buck...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dipperdoo

First Crossbow buck...

Post by Dipperdoo »

So went out yesterday evening to give it shot along the edge of a cut corn field. Just around sunset a nice 8 (~19" inch spread not real tall but nice for this area) came down the lane off to the right. I gave a little grunt and he started working his way over to me. He got to about 30 yrd broadside in a shooting lane. I grunted to stop him and then let it go. He took off around me to my left and I saw the bolt sticking out the other side, the fletching was holding it in. It looked to me like a good shot, but it must have been a little low and back. He stopped once he made it around behind me, then took off. I found the bolt ~50yrds away. It didn't have any tissue on it, but did have some white hairs on it. The blood trail was good and bad. Bright red blood, but no froth. A few small drops then spots with lots of heavy drops. We tracked him ~350 yards. Then lost it. Picked it up again this morning only to increase the trail 40yrds. I do believe I have lost him and have that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.
TYE

Post by TYE »

That sucks :(

My friend lost a 6 pointer the other day. Be was dumb enough to take a shot for the chest anyways.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

That is the worst feeling a hunter can have. :(
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Loosing one is the worst feeling a hunter can have. It happens, keep your chin up.

I lost a very good one last year, Shot at dusk from a treestand. The shot put the buck down in his tracks but he got back up and took off in the direction he had came. My son and I tracked into the evening with heavy rain on it's way. Huge pools of blood for the first 100 yards. But never recovered the buck.

Two weeks later my neighbor found the buck in a small ravine behind his house. 16 pointer with 9 points on the right beam and 7 on the left. This buck scored 181.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

buckeye wrote:That is the worst feeling a hunter can have. :(
Gotta agree :(