expensive deer scent

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

poordave

expensive deer scent

Post by poordave »

Any comments on Border Crossing Labs VS-1. Its $50.00 an oz. They also have a stick form. Dave
A.W

Post by A.W »

$50.00!! That sounds more like a deposit on a new bow. :shock:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I saw a half-hour show on The Outdoor Channel last week that was dedicated to using scents (can't remember exactly which one), but they highly recommended that scent over all others. The guy said that with the other companies, they sell way too much scent for it to all be top quality. There's just no way to harvest that much urine during the short estrus cycle. They said that Border Crossing Labs has a very limited supply each year and that it always sells out quickly. I believe the "VS" stands for "Vaginal Secretions".

I've never used or even seen it for sale, myself. I use a local brand to try and get the freshest that I can.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

$50 for one ounce of pi$$ in a bottle... sounds like a great deal to me :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Corvus wrote:I saw a half-hour show on The Outdoor Channel last week that was dedicated to using scents (can't remember exactly which one), but they highly recommended that scent over all others. The guy said that with the other companies, they sell way too much scent for it to all be top quality. There's just no way to harvest that much urine during the short estrus cycle. They said that Border Crossing Labs has a very limited supply each year and that it always sells out quickly. I believe the "VS" stands for "Vaginal Secretions".

I've never used or even seen it for sale, myself. I use a local brand to try and get the freshest that I can.
Was this the program where the bucks kept knocking over the doe decoy, trying to mount the decoy? Seems they had sprayed the decoy with the above. Personally I would not use that good of a scent for fear of getting some of it on me.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Channel #5 of deer scents - think I'll pass on this. Saw the show where they were high on it but I just can't justify that expense. Now if they would guarantee the largest buck in the county to come hunt it down, broadside angled to my setup I might reconsider. Most new products such as the latest camo patterns, scents, calls, etc. are designed to get money out of the hunters pocket - not necessarily make you more successful, IMO...
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Do you really want some old randy buck doing a Pewee Herman on you?
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Hmmm... Wonder if any money changed hands between Border Crossing Labs and the producers of that show? Wonder if Border Crossing Labs had script approval? Ya think? :wink:
Thwackem!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Do they have it in gallon jugs?????
Lets see.....
128oz x $50 = $6400 :shock:
maybe a discount for the gallons?
wabi
A.W

Post by A.W »

Big Al wrote:Do you really want some old randy buck doing a Pewee Herman on you?
Are you volunteering? :lol: :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

"Vaginal Secretions?" :shock:

VS-1! :roll:

C'mon! Sounds like some of these pheromone formulas they market in the back of sporting magazines nowadays! It's just more expensive!

Give me a break.

Why not just kill a doe in estrous (you know, the kind that walk around bawling to be bred) some morning and neatly remove that assembly, secretions and all, and hang it from a limb in some likely buck spot that afternoon?

Could be done. I've seen times when I could do it. When I killed a big buck on this farm last year, one of the does he'd been with in the field kept trotting back and forth mewing and baaing ... she came within ten yards of him hung up on the hoist twice!

Boy, the lengths we'll go to just to get a shot at a "shooter!" LOL

Laughing with you, though, not at you.

You buy some if you want to. May work! Who knows? Give us a report!

Grizz Who Ain't Buyin'

Edit: Just noticed your name, man! You'll be a lot poorer if you buy much of that stuff!
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Lets think about this for a minute, doing the math, if he only sold one bottle @ 50.00 per hunter what kind of money are we talking about? 40% mark-up from whole sale..... I think it would work out that he could retire the national debt of some third world countries. I think this old boy is a player!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Just looked it up and I think the show was Deer and Deerhunting TV, and they're not even listed as a sponsor.

Lets think about this for a minute, doing the math, if he only sold one bottle @ 50.00 per hunter what kind of money are we talking about? 40% mark-up from whole sale..... I think it would work out that he could retire the national debt of some third world countries. I think this old boy is a player!
They don't make nearly enough to sell to every hunter. Very limited quantities of the stuff made each year.

I've been nearly run over by a buck with his head down and grunting like a pig headed for the Cronk's Buck Joy I squirted on the tree behind me. $7 a bottle works for me!
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

A.W wrote:
Big Al wrote:Do you really want some old randy buck doing a Pewee Herman on you?
Are you volunteering? :lol: :lol:
This commercial reminds me of a joke about a novice hunter getting equipped at the local sporting goods store for a moose hunt. Seems the clerk sold the fellow scent along with a rifle and boots and clothing and just about everything a guy would need. Four or five days later the novice hunter shows back up at the store on crutches and nearly beats the salesman to death with a crutch. When the store owner drags the guy off the salesman he asks him why? The novice looks the owner in the eye and tells him, "If you are going to sell that secret scent, sell a man ammo for his rifle too". :wink: