How do I hunt deer that only come out after dark?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wiz Kid

How do I hunt deer that only come out after dark?

Post by Wiz Kid »

I am switching over to a cross bow this year and I hunt from stands within 10 minutes of my house and I have lots of deer in the area BUT they only come out into the fields after dark? On Monday I had 3 in my back yard on Monday nite at 6:10 40 minutes earlier and I would have be in business. Would anyone have a suggestion.

...................rob
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Is there any way you can scout and find some of their bedding areas? That way, you will be closer to them as soon as they start moving.

I know what you mean though, they do it to me a little more during the end of the season. I only have a small piece of land and I do not have the advantage of finding bedding areas.

Good luck,

Jay
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Yes the bedding area, if not train them with a feeder that will go of an hour before dark, and only once a day. It may take some time, but will eventually bed near by and wait for the dinner bell. Even men will do this for beer, pizza or a hot woman. Resetting their internal clock to your time for a tasty meal, this will attract does as well, and you have a double whammy for the Buck. Don't know where your from, may not be legal though some states or provinces do not allow baiting.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Wiz Kid

Ha I feel your pain. On Monday I didn't see a deer all afternoon. On the way home I had to swerve to keep from hitting a 6 pt that jumped out of the woods in front of me. Later on the way home I had to brake to be sure a 4pt didn't run out in front of me and further down the road severial in a field. There are deer in the area ya just gotta hang in there. I had a buddy that once said if you put your time in woods you will get your buck.

Find what you think is your best spot and hunt it. Moveing is not necessarily the best way to hunt. Hang in there sooner or later a buck will make a big mistake.
Gary

Souderton, Pa.
Tar Heel

Re: How do I hunt deer that only come out after dark?

Post by Tar Heel »

With a big light :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Tar Heel wrote:With a big light :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding.

Tar Heel
Thanks for that Tar Heel, I've had to fight the urge to post the same, well maybe with a million candle power modification.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Big Al wrote:
Tar Heel wrote:With a big light :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding.

Tar Heel
Thanks for that Tar Heel, I've had to fight the urge to post the same, well maybe with a million candle power modification.
I guess there was 3 of us at least thinking the same :lol:
A.W

Post by A.W »

I've had that problem for two years. My problem was 4 and 2 wheelers trespassing and keeping the deer nocturnal. I've worked pretty hard detering these people and it seems to have paid of (fingers crossed).

I'm starting to see deer now. I saw a huge one at 2.00pm just before the season started.

Hopefully I'll get a crack at him this weekend and break in my new/used trailer. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
jessejames

Post by jessejames »

Thanks for asking the question I wanted to ask for sometime now. I know the deer are there but haven't had the time to sit ALL day and find them. I think after our gun hunt I will sit the whole day with a lunch and maybe a magizine of somesort until I get the big guy I've been following for the last few months. I've always beleived in anything that if you work hard and put your time in on anything it will pay off the way you want it to one day. Good luck
jess
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I am in the same situation :?

I have sat all day, before daylight, till dark & even mid day & not seen deer in my spot, but know they are in the area.
They bed in the neighbouring property which I do not have permission so all I can do is keep sitting & waiting for them to show up.
I am trying some different tactics with scents now but the next month is messed up with gun hunts & all I can do is hope nobody gets the big guy that is in there :cry:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
exocet

Post by exocet »

The Rut may get them moving at different times now, that should help ya!! Jack.